Jan 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Brain surgery motivates Manhattan recruiting ace (New York Post)
The Manhattan Jaspers are one of four teams sitting atop the MAAC standings with a 6-2 conference record, and their eight wins away from Draddy Gymnasium makes them one of college basketball’s most successful road/neutral teams. One person who’s had an active role in this is assistant coach Rasheen Davis, and he overcame personal setbacks to get to where he is today.
Catching up with former Lafayette men’s basketball standout Brian Burke (The Express-Times)
It’s always interesting for fans to read about the things some of their favorite players of the past are up to after hanging up their sneakers, and in this story the focus is former Lafayette guard Brian Burke. Burke, who currently ranks ninth on the school’s all-time assists list, was a member of the Leopards’ last two NCAA tournament teams (2001 and 2002).
Player’s on-court wedding proposal steals show after Long Beach State’s women’s team suffers loss (Long Beach Press-Telegram)
College basketball had itself a wedding proposal this past weekend, and the recipient was Long Beach State women’s basketball player Alex Sanchez. Sanchez’s boyfriend proposed following the 49ers’ 107-102 overtime loss to Cal Poly, capping a wild day at The Pyramid.
ASU basketball coach Herb Sendek in big stretch (AZ Central)
With Arizona State having lost two straight games, the Sun Devils are in need of a reversal of fortune with Utah and Colorado slated to visit this week. And given the fact that the program hasn’t been to the NCAA tournament since 2009, this begins a very important stretch for head coach Herb Sendek’s program.
Maurice Creek has given George Washington a healthy outlook (Washington Post)
George Washington guard Maurice Creek has been one of the best stories in college basketball, finally healthy after dealing with various injuries throughout his time at Indiana. As a result the Colonials, picked to finish in the bottom half of the Atlantic 10 during the preseason, have shown signs of being a credible contender.
Cougars build confidence with Bay Area sweep (Deseret News)
After losing four straight games away from Provo, BYU picked up wins at Santa Clara and San Francisco this weekend. With a renewed confidence and players more comfortable with their current roles, Dave Rose’s Cougars could be poised to make a run in the WCC.
Manuel feels UConn in middle ground financially with power conferences (Connecticut Post)
With the recent discussion that the five most powerful Division I conferences could end up governing themselves to a certain extent, schools outside of the group find themselves in a tough spot. One such school is UConn, and the way in which they move forward in order to keep up with programs in richer conferences will determine the long-term health of the athletic department.
Jabari Parker learns scouting report, turns it against NC State in Duke blowout (Raleigh News & Observer)
Much had been made of Jabari Parker’s decreased productivity in the days leading up to No. 23 Duke’s game against NC State, with the freshman not playing at the level he did to start the season. But a renewed focus and a better understanding of what opponents are looking to do to him resulted in Parker returning to the form many grew accustomed to seeing.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)