Jan 21, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
George Washington sophomore guard Kethan Savage will miss six-to-eight weeks after fracturing the fifth metatarsal in his left foot.
He suffered the injury against St. Bonaventure on Saturday. The school announced the news with a press release Tuesday morning.
“It’s disappointing for Kethan to have this happen in the middle of his breakout sophomore season, but as a team we’ve dealt with injuries before and have emerged stronger as a unit,” head coach Mike Lonergan said in the release. “We’ll look forward to his return to action, but I have every bit of confidence that we’ll overcome Kethan’s absence. In the meantime, this is a great opportunity for all his teammates to step up at this time. That is a mark of a great team. We are all very excited for the rest of the season ahead.”
Savage was in the midst of a breakout season. Not only had he seen his scoring average jump from 3.1 points to 13.4 points, but he was one of the best perimeter defenders that Mike Lonergan had at his disposal.
Making things more problematic is that the Colonials were already short on quality depth. With Savage healthy, they essentially go six-deep.
If things go well, Savage may be able to return to the court in time for the Atlantic 10 tournament. And while the Colonials are currently in position to be a contender for the Atlantic 10 title, doing so without Savage will be a tall task.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)