Jan 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Up and Down and Unfair: Embiid, Wiggins and Kansas in 2014 (Grantland)
Saturday’s matchup between Oklahoma State and Kansas proved to be one of the nation’s best games to this point in the season, with the Jayhawks hanging on for the two-point victory at Allen Fieldhouse. While Andrew Wiggins was quiet for much of the afternoon the same can’t be said of Joel Embiid, who was outstanding in the middle for the Jayhawks. This story captures the entire day and Kansas’ two freshmen quite well.
Bruce Pearl’s post-coaching life, Richard Pitino and his father and more (Sports Illustrated)
One question that more than a few college basketball fans have asked recently is when would former Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl return to the coaching ranks. Now working at ESPN during the season, Pearl discusses life after Tennessee and his thoughts on a return to the sideline.
Air Force has a straight shooter in Tre’ Coggins (Denver Post)
The Air Force Falcons have gotten off to a 3-3 start to Mountain West play, a bit of a surprise considering the fact that Dave Pilipovich’s team was expected to be one of the league’s weaker teams. One reason for the start: sophomore point guard Tre’ Coggins, who has been one of the Mountain West’s best perimeter shooters to this point in the season.
Clemson basketball wants to avoid getting road-tripped (Charleston Post and Courier)
While much has been made of the play of Duke and North Carolina, one of the positive surprises in ACC play has been the Clemson Tigers. Brad Brownell’s team is off to a 4-1 start to conference play, and with a game at Pittsburgh in front of them the Tigers are hoping to earn a quality road victory.
UMass off to blazing start under Calipari pupil Derek Kellogg (USA Today)
No. 12 UMass has survived some close calls this season, but the fact of the matter is that the Minutemen have done enough to win 16 of their first 17 games. Leading the way is head coach Derek Kellogg, whose team is currently ranked ahead of the team coached by his college head coach, John Calipari.
Oglesby now key contributor for Hawkeyes (Quad City Times)
One reason why No. 10 Iowa was able to whip Minnesota 94-73 on Sunday afternoon was the first-half performance of guard Josh Oglesby, who scored 14 of his 17 points in the opening stanza. Playing with greater confidence, Oglesby’s become a key reserve for the Hawkeyes, who are ranked in the top ten of the AP poll for the first time since 2002.
Creighton’s McDermott embracing return to school (City of Basketball Love)
Creighton senior forward Doug McDermott returned to the place where his junior season came to an end, with the Bluejays falling to Duke in the NCAA tournament’s Round of 32. McDermott very well could have decided that he was ready for the next level but instead he returned to Omaha for his senior season, and McDermott’s happy that he did.
St. John’s lineups: a little bit of everything leads to nothing (Big Apple Buckets)
St. John’s has struggled mightily in Big East, as they’re off to an 0-5 start that has left fans frustrated. One point of frustration for some has been the numerous lineups that head coach Steve Lavin has used, with the thought being that the lack of continuity has led to the team’s struggles. John Templon of Big Apple Buckets broke down the many different lineup combinations used by the Red Storm this season.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 0
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)