Jan 22, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
It wasn’t always pretty and it wasn’t always exciting, but No. 14 Kentucky did the job they were supposed to do against Texas A&M on a snowy Tuesday night, dispatching the Aggies, 68-51.
Billy Kennedy entered the night with a game-plan: to play the game at a snail’s pace, trying to keep the score in the 50s or 60s. He succeeded, too, which is why it’s tough to take too much out of this game.
There were a couple of noteworthy performances, however.
Alex Poythress looks like he might finally be figuring it out. On Tuesday night, he had a season-high 16 points, 14 of which came in the second half, while adding five boards and getting to the free throw line nine times. In his last five games, 10.6 points, 4.4 boards and 2.0 blocks in just under 24 minutes per game. He’s making hustle plays, getting to the offensive glass, playing defense. We’ve been saying it for a long time that the Wildcats need a glue-guy, someone to do the dirty work. Poythress looks like he could end up being that guy.
On the other hand, Willie Cauley-Stein was a no-show for the third straight game. He’s scored three points and has more fouls (11) than rebounds (10). He’s blocked two shots, which doubles the number of field goals that he’s made during that time. The good news? Dakari Johnson has played well in Cauley-Stein’s, well, absence. On Tuesday, he finished with six points, seven boards and three blocks.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)