Jan 22, 2014, 12:59 PM EST
Towson head coach Pat Skerry and Marshall head coach Tom Herrion are teaming up to sponsor Autism Awareness Day on Feb. 1st.
Feb. 1st is a Saturday, so the two coaches broke down the national television schedules and picked out 41 games and 82 coaches they believe will get the most publicity. They then purchased 82 blue, puzzle piece-shaped lapel pins from Autism Speaks and sent them off to some of the biggest names in the coaching business.
Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim, among many others, have agreed to wear the pins.
“Anybody that has a child that has any sort of special needs or diagnoses, the biggest thing is you’re trying to allow your child to be normal,” Herrion told Brian Hamilton of SI.com. “In today’s society, as a parent, that’s your biggest fear. You try to educate people so they understand.”
Both Herrion and Skerry have children that have been diagnosed with Autism, so their charitable effort stem from personal experience.
“It’s [about] getting help for people,” Skerry said. “It’s a cost. I’m fortunate. There’s a lot of other people that maybe aren’t. Hopefully with more money and research – you’re talking about our children here – how do you help them? How do you help them figure it out?”
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 34
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (34)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)