Jan 22, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Towson head coach Pat Skerry and Marshall head coach Tom Herrion are teaming up to sponsor Autism Awareness Day on Feb. 1st.
Feb. 1st is a Saturday, so the two coaches broke down the national television schedules and picked out 41 games and 82 coaches they believe will get the most publicity. They then purchased 82 blue, puzzle piece-shaped lapel pins from Autism Speaks and sent them off to some of the biggest names in the coaching business.
Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim, among many others, have agreed to wear the pins.
“Anybody that has a child that has any sort of special needs or diagnoses, the biggest thing is you’re trying to allow your child to be normal,” Herrion told Brian Hamilton of SI.com. “In today’s society, as a parent, that’s your biggest fear. You try to educate people so they understand.”
Both Herrion and Skerry have children that have been diagnosed with Autism, so their charitable effort stem from personal experience.
“It’s [about] getting help for people,” Skerry said. “It’s a cost. I’m fortunate. There’s a lot of other people that maybe aren’t. Hopefully with more money and research – you’re talking about our children here – how do you help them? How do you help them figure it out?”
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)