Jan 23, 2014, 12:14 PM EST
Minnesota’s leading scorer Andre Hollins missed all but about 30 seconds of last night’s win over No. 9 Wisconsin after rolling his ankle.
He spent much of the game sitting in the training room, watching on television. That gave some cause for concern, especially considering he reportedly left the arena in a walking boot and on crutches.
But according to reports, it appears that Hollins’ injury isn’t incredibly serious. Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com says he will be out for 7-10 days. Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com says that his status for Minnesota’s game on Sunday is still uncertain. Amelia Rayno of the Star-Tribune called it a “severe ankle sprain” and hinted that he could be out for two weeks.
In other words, no one is really sure just how bad the sprain is at this point, but with injuries like this, the concern isn’t whether or not he can damage the ankle anymore. It’s pain tolerance and whether or not the team can wait for the player to get fully healthy.
The good news for Minnesota?
Given the way that Dre Mathieu, Malik Smith and Mo Walker played last night, it’s clear that Minnesota can still be very competitive without Hollins on the floor.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)