Jan 23, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Obviously recruiting is the lifeblood of any college basketball program, because for all the expertise that a coach and his staff can provide you need talent in order to win on a consistent basis. That leads into the question of where do programs find these players, and which cities/states produce the most talent? Ben Stancil of Mode Analytics took an in-depth look at where college basketball programs recruit, and his study provided some interesting results.
The original purpose of the study was to contrast where college basketball programs recruit as opposed to college football programs, and according to Stancil’s research southern states produce the highest number of college basketball players per capita. With the population increase that the southern United States has experienced in recent years, this doesn’t come as a surprise even with northern states such as Illinois, Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania having a history of producing Division I talent.
Texas (427) and California (405) boast the highest number of Division I players on rosters this season, with Illinois’ 257 ranking third amongst the fifty states. The state with the fewest Division I players: North Dakota, which can claim just three natives on Division I rosters this season. And according to the study international players make up 14% of players on rosters this season.
The interactive map can be viewed here.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 0
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)