Jan 23, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Obviously recruiting is the lifeblood of any college basketball program, because for all the expertise that a coach and his staff can provide you need talent in order to win on a consistent basis. That leads into the question of where do programs find these players, and which cities/states produce the most talent? Ben Stancil of Mode Analytics took an in-depth look at where college basketball programs recruit, and his study provided some interesting results.
The original purpose of the study was to contrast where college basketball programs recruit as opposed to college football programs, and according to Stancil’s research southern states produce the highest number of college basketball players per capita. With the population increase that the southern United States has experienced in recent years, this doesn’t come as a surprise even with northern states such as Illinois, Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania having a history of producing Division I talent.
Texas (427) and California (405) boast the highest number of Division I players on rosters this season, with Illinois’ 257 ranking third amongst the fifty states. The state with the fewest Division I players: North Dakota, which can claim just three natives on Division I rosters this season. And according to the study international players make up 14% of players on rosters this season.
The interactive map can be viewed here.
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 0
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 0
- Senior starters once again lead the way for No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing the most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)