Jan 23, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Obviously recruiting is the lifeblood of any college basketball program, because for all the expertise that a coach and his staff can provide you need talent in order to win on a consistent basis. That leads into the question of where do programs find these players, and which cities/states produce the most talent? Ben Stancil of Mode Analytics took an in-depth look at where college basketball programs recruit, and his study provided some interesting results.
The original purpose of the study was to contrast where college basketball programs recruit as opposed to college football programs, and according to Stancil’s research southern states produce the highest number of college basketball players per capita. With the population increase that the southern United States has experienced in recent years, this doesn’t come as a surprise even with northern states such as Illinois, Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania having a history of producing Division I talent.
Texas (427) and California (405) boast the highest number of Division I players on rosters this season, with Illinois’ 257 ranking third amongst the fifty states. The state with the fewest Division I players: North Dakota, which can claim just three natives on Division I rosters this season. And according to the study international players make up 14% of players on rosters this season.
The interactive map can be viewed here.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)