Jan 23, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Obviously recruiting is the lifeblood of any college basketball program, because for all the expertise that a coach and his staff can provide you need talent in order to win on a consistent basis. That leads into the question of where do programs find these players, and which cities/states produce the most talent? Ben Stancil of Mode Analytics took an in-depth look at where college basketball programs recruit, and his study provided some interesting results.
The original purpose of the study was to contrast where college basketball programs recruit as opposed to college football programs, and according to Stancil’s research southern states produce the highest number of college basketball players per capita. With the population increase that the southern United States has experienced in recent years, this doesn’t come as a surprise even with northern states such as Illinois, Indiana, New York and Pennsylvania having a history of producing Division I talent.
Texas (427) and California (405) boast the highest number of Division I players on rosters this season, with Illinois’ 257 ranking third amongst the fifty states. The state with the fewest Division I players: North Dakota, which can claim just three natives on Division I rosters this season. And according to the study international players make up 14% of players on rosters this season.
The interactive map can be viewed here.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)