Jan 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
This coming weekend is an important one in college basketball, and not solely because of some of the big conference match-ups on the docket. It’s also the Coaches vs. Cancer’s “Suits and Sneakers” weekend, with many coaching staffs across the country eschewing the standard dress shoes for sneakers in support of the fight against cancer.
In the case of Marquette, not only will head coach Buzz Williams and the rest of the coaching staff wear sneakers when they host No. 4 Villanova on Saturday but the players will don special uniforms for the occasion. Marquette tweeted a picture of the new uniforms on Thursday afternoon:
So instead of the standard home white uniform the Golden Eagles will wear pink, and it’s for a good cause. One question I have is whether or not there will be a special shoe as well, maybe something along the lines of the Jordan Melo 10 Georgetown players wore during a game in early January.
Coaches vs. Cancer was established as a collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
Note: why they’d have Georgetown wearing the signature shoe of a player who attended Syracuse is a question for another day.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)