Jan 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
This coming weekend is an important one in college basketball, and not solely because of some of the big conference match-ups on the docket. It’s also the Coaches vs. Cancer’s “Suits and Sneakers” weekend, with many coaching staffs across the country eschewing the standard dress shoes for sneakers in support of the fight against cancer.
In the case of Marquette, not only will head coach Buzz Williams and the rest of the coaching staff wear sneakers when they host No. 4 Villanova on Saturday but the players will don special uniforms for the occasion. Marquette tweeted a picture of the new uniforms on Thursday afternoon:
So instead of the standard home white uniform the Golden Eagles will wear pink, and it’s for a good cause. One question I have is whether or not there will be a special shoe as well, maybe something along the lines of the Jordan Melo 10 Georgetown players wore during a game in early January.
Coaches vs. Cancer was established as a collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
Note: why they’d have Georgetown wearing the signature shoe of a player who attended Syracuse is a question for another day.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)