Jan 23, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
This coming weekend is an important one in college basketball, and not solely because of some of the big conference match-ups on the docket. It’s also the Coaches vs. Cancer’s “Suits and Sneakers” weekend, with many coaching staffs across the country eschewing the standard dress shoes for sneakers in support of the fight against cancer.
In the case of Marquette, not only will head coach Buzz Williams and the rest of the coaching staff wear sneakers when they host No. 4 Villanova on Saturday but the players will don special uniforms for the occasion. Marquette tweeted a picture of the new uniforms on Thursday afternoon:
So instead of the standard home white uniform the Golden Eagles will wear pink, and it’s for a good cause. One question I have is whether or not there will be a special shoe as well, maybe something along the lines of the Jordan Melo 10 Georgetown players wore during a game in early January.
Coaches vs. Cancer was established as a collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches.
Note: why they’d have Georgetown wearing the signature shoe of a player who attended Syracuse is a question for another day.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)