Jan 23, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
Mike Anderson very nearly ended one of the more embarrassing streaks for any coach in the country.
Since he’s been at Arkansas, Anderson is winless in SEC road games against teams other than Auburn. His overall record in SEC games away from Bud Walton Arena is 2-21, which looks even worse when you consider that he went 1-7 on the road in Big 12 games in his last season at Missouri.
But that very nearly changed on Wednesday night, when Anderson’s Arkansas team was up 63-55 at Tennessee late in the second half. The Vols had a run in them, however, and it was spurred on by a flagrant foul that was called on Kiko Haydar.
With 2:52 left, Haydar wrapped up Jeronne Maymon from behind, holding his arms preventing Maymon from getting off a shot at the rim. The flagrant was called, giving Maymon two free throws and Tennessee the ball back. Maymon hit both, Jordan McRae hit a three on the ensuing possession, and after Arkansas badly missed a contested three, McRae knocked down two free throws at the other end.
That flagrant foul changed the game. Anderson acknowledged as much afterwards, while pleading his case that the call was wrong.
“McRae played well, but the MVP was the flagrant foul call,” he said after the game, according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel. “You get in two or three minutes and that’s one that should play on. I thought it just changed the whole dynamic of how the game was going.”
Here’s an excerpt from the rulebook on what should be called a flagrant foul: “Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score.”
You tell me if the refs missed that call?:
You don’t want flagrant fouls called in the last three minutes? Don’t commit flagrant fouls in the last three minutes.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)