Jan 23, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
Michael Frazier II had 18 points and Casey Prather added 14 points and six boards as No. 6 Florida overcame a sluggish performance to knock off Alabama, 68-62.
It feels like we’ve said this before.
When the Gators played at Arkansas, they needed overtime to knock off the Razorbacks. When they played at Auburn, they only managed to beat the Tigers by seven.
Now, the SEC may not be all that good this season, but that doesn’t change the fact that winning on the road in league play is a tough thing to do. It doesn’t matter what league you’re in.
But it’s also fair to say that the Gators have been less than impressive on the offensive end of the floor in recent weeks. For a team that plays a lot of minutes with two point guards on the floor, the Gators have a tendency to go through stretches where they just aren’t that good offensively.
It makes sense when you think about it. Their leading scorer is Prather, who is a slasher who game is more or less limited to five feet and in. Frazier is pigeon-holed as a spot-up shooter. Patric Young and Dorian Finney-Smith are good, but they aren’t exactly known for being able to create their own shots.
Quite a bit of the pressure to create falls on Scottie Wilbekin and Kasey Hill as a result, and while both missed time earlier in the year, they should be healthy — and in Billy Donovan’s good graces — at this point.
So here’s my question: are these recent offensive funks a sign of playing on the road, or are they a precursor for bigger issues?
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)