Jan 24, 2014, 3:26 PM EST
In mid-December Akron director of basketball operations Dan Peters went on leave after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, leaving the Zips without a man who has more than three decades of coaching experience at the college level. With this being Coaches vs. Cancer “Suits and Sneakers” weekend, the event takes on added meaning for Keith Dambrot’s program as a result.
For their game on Wednesday against Ball State, Akron will distribute 3,000 purple T-shirts with the saying “4 Pete’s Sake” emblazoned on them to fans, with purple being the color associated with pancreatic cancer awareness. Fans will also have the opportunity to purchase “4 Pete’s Sake” lapel pins for $5, with the proceeds being donated to pancreatic cancer research.
However Akron won’t be alone in honoring Peters as he fights this disease either, with multiple programs that have a connection to Peters wearing “4 Pete’s Sake” lapel pins on their suit jackets.
Programs showing their support for Peters through lapel pins or patches include Arizona (where his son, Danny, is an assistant director of operations), Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Delta State, Eastern Michigan (men and women), Houghton College, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Ohio State, St. Joseph’s (Ind.) College, Toledo, Walsh College, Western Carolina, Western Michigan and Youngstown State (men and women).
Yahoo! Sports’ Pat Forde wrote a touching story on Peters and his fight, and it can be read here.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)