Jan 24, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
In mid-December Akron director of basketball operations Dan Peters went on leave after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, leaving the Zips without a man who has more than three decades of coaching experience at the college level. With this being Coaches vs. Cancer “Suits and Sneakers” weekend, the event takes on added meaning for Keith Dambrot’s program as a result.
For their game on Wednesday against Ball State, Akron will distribute 3,000 purple T-shirts with the saying “4 Pete’s Sake” emblazoned on them to fans, with purple being the color associated with pancreatic cancer awareness. Fans will also have the opportunity to purchase “4 Pete’s Sake” lapel pins for $5, with the proceeds being donated to pancreatic cancer research.
However Akron won’t be alone in honoring Peters as he fights this disease either, with multiple programs that have a connection to Peters wearing “4 Pete’s Sake” lapel pins on their suit jackets.
Programs showing their support for Peters through lapel pins or patches include Arizona (where his son, Danny, is an assistant director of operations), Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Delta State, Eastern Michigan (men and women), Houghton College, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Ohio State, St. Joseph’s (Ind.) College, Toledo, Walsh College, Western Carolina, Western Michigan and Youngstown State (men and women).
Yahoo! Sports’ Pat Forde wrote a touching story on Peters and his fight, and it can be read here.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)