Jan 24, 2014, 3:26 PM EST
In mid-December Akron director of basketball operations Dan Peters went on leave after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, leaving the Zips without a man who has more than three decades of coaching experience at the college level. With this being Coaches vs. Cancer “Suits and Sneakers” weekend, the event takes on added meaning for Keith Dambrot’s program as a result.
For their game on Wednesday against Ball State, Akron will distribute 3,000 purple T-shirts with the saying “4 Pete’s Sake” emblazoned on them to fans, with purple being the color associated with pancreatic cancer awareness. Fans will also have the opportunity to purchase “4 Pete’s Sake” lapel pins for $5, with the proceeds being donated to pancreatic cancer research.
However Akron won’t be alone in honoring Peters as he fights this disease either, with multiple programs that have a connection to Peters wearing “4 Pete’s Sake” lapel pins on their suit jackets.
Programs showing their support for Peters through lapel pins or patches include Arizona (where his son, Danny, is an assistant director of operations), Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Cincinnati, Delta State, Eastern Michigan (men and women), Houghton College, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Ohio State, St. Joseph’s (Ind.) College, Toledo, Walsh College, Western Carolina, Western Michigan and Youngstown State (men and women).
Yahoo! Sports’ Pat Forde wrote a touching story on Peters and his fight, and it can be read here.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)