Jan 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Dartmouth’s Gabas Maldunas will miss the remainder of the season due to a torn ACL to his right knee suffered in practice, the school announced this past Wednesday.
Maldunas, who is the Big Green’s leading scorer and rebounder, was having a standout season and a big reason for Dartmouth’s improved play from last year.
The Big Green haven’t won more than ten games since the 2007-08 season, but are well on their way to a double-digit win campaign this year. They currently stand at 7-8 and, while their wins haven’t come against the stiffest of competition, their ranking of 220 by Pomeroy — compared to last season’s 275 — is reflective of the improvement.
The 6-foot-9 forward from Lithuania was averaging 11.2 points and 8.5 rebounds.
Because the injury was suffered at this stage of the season, Maldunas will be ineligible to receive a medical redshirt.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)