Jan 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Dartmouth’s Gabas Maldunas will miss the remainder of the season due to a torn ACL to his right knee suffered in practice, the school announced this past Wednesday.
Maldunas, who is the Big Green’s leading scorer and rebounder, was having a standout season and a big reason for Dartmouth’s improved play from last year.
The Big Green haven’t won more than ten games since the 2007-08 season, but are well on their way to a double-digit win campaign this year. They currently stand at 7-8 and, while their wins haven’t come against the stiffest of competition, their ranking of 220 by Pomeroy — compared to last season’s 275 — is reflective of the improvement.
The 6-foot-9 forward from Lithuania was averaging 11.2 points and 8.5 rebounds.
Because the injury was suffered at this stage of the season, Maldunas will be ineligible to receive a medical redshirt.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)