Jan 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Dartmouth’s Gabas Maldunas will miss the remainder of the season due to a torn ACL to his right knee suffered in practice, the school announced this past Wednesday.
Maldunas, who is the Big Green’s leading scorer and rebounder, was having a standout season and a big reason for Dartmouth’s improved play from last year.
The Big Green haven’t won more than ten games since the 2007-08 season, but are well on their way to a double-digit win campaign this year. They currently stand at 7-8 and, while their wins haven’t come against the stiffest of competition, their ranking of 220 by Pomeroy — compared to last season’s 275 — is reflective of the improvement.
The 6-foot-9 forward from Lithuania was averaging 11.2 points and 8.5 rebounds.
Because the injury was suffered at this stage of the season, Maldunas will be ineligible to receive a medical redshirt.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)