Jan 24, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
On Wednesday it was reported by Bryce Miller of the Des Moines Register that, acting on behalf of the Iowa Board of Regents, the state attorney general filed a motion requesting that the Iowa Supreme Court issue an immediate stay on the ruling of a Webster County judge that senior guard Bubu Palo be allowed to rejoin the program. Days after Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard argued that the school should be the entity that determines the status of its student-athletes the Board of Regents said the same in making its argument that Palo should not be a member of Fred Hoiberg’s program.
Friday morning it was reported by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune that the request was denied, meaning that for the time being Palo remains a member of the basketball team.
As a result of the ruling Palo, who began practicing with the team on Monday, will be on the bench when the Cyclones host No. 22 Kansas State on Saturday. Whether or not he sees the floor depends on how much he’s been able to pick up in this week of preparation, not only from a scheme/scouting report standpoint but also in regards to his physical fitness.
Just as importantly, what’s the climate within a program that has lost three games in a row and now has a player that some high-ranking individuals do not want on the roster? When Palo’s reinstatement was first announced players offered positive words, but have they been able to stay above the fray so to speak?
The atmosphere at Hilton Coliseum on Saturday afternoon should be an interesting one to say the least.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)