Jan 24, 2014, 12:44 PM EST
On Wednesday it was reported by Bryce Miller of the Des Moines Register that, acting on behalf of the Iowa Board of Regents, the state attorney general filed a motion requesting that the Iowa Supreme Court issue an immediate stay on the ruling of a Webster County judge that senior guard Bubu Palo be allowed to rejoin the program. Days after Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard argued that the school should be the entity that determines the status of its student-athletes the Board of Regents said the same in making its argument that Palo should not be a member of Fred Hoiberg’s program.
Friday morning it was reported by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune that the request was denied, meaning that for the time being Palo remains a member of the basketball team.
As a result of the ruling Palo, who began practicing with the team on Monday, will be on the bench when the Cyclones host No. 22 Kansas State on Saturday. Whether or not he sees the floor depends on how much he’s been able to pick up in this week of preparation, not only from a scheme/scouting report standpoint but also in regards to his physical fitness.
Just as importantly, what’s the climate within a program that has lost three games in a row and now has a player that some high-ranking individuals do not want on the roster? When Palo’s reinstatement was first announced players offered positive words, but have they been able to stay above the fray so to speak?
The atmosphere at Hilton Coliseum on Saturday afternoon should be an interesting one to say the least.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)