Jan 24, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
On Wednesday it was reported by Bryce Miller of the Des Moines Register that, acting on behalf of the Iowa Board of Regents, the state attorney general filed a motion requesting that the Iowa Supreme Court issue an immediate stay on the ruling of a Webster County judge that senior guard Bubu Palo be allowed to rejoin the program. Days after Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard argued that the school should be the entity that determines the status of its student-athletes the Board of Regents said the same in making its argument that Palo should not be a member of Fred Hoiberg’s program.
Friday morning it was reported by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune that the request was denied, meaning that for the time being Palo remains a member of the basketball team.
As a result of the ruling Palo, who began practicing with the team on Monday, will be on the bench when the Cyclones host No. 22 Kansas State on Saturday. Whether or not he sees the floor depends on how much he’s been able to pick up in this week of preparation, not only from a scheme/scouting report standpoint but also in regards to his physical fitness.
Just as importantly, what’s the climate within a program that has lost three games in a row and now has a player that some high-ranking individuals do not want on the roster? When Palo’s reinstatement was first announced players offered positive words, but have they been able to stay above the fray so to speak?
The atmosphere at Hilton Coliseum on Saturday afternoon should be an interesting one to say the least.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)