Jan 24, 2014, 6:48 PM EST
News broke earlier today that Robert Morris has indefinitely suspended four members of the men’s basketball team, including freshman standout Jeremiah Worthem. Along with Worthem, freshman Briton Lee, sophomore Evan Grey, and Shaire Tolson-Ford have been suspended.
Craig Meyer was the first to report the news.
RMU athletic director Craig Coleman said in a statement: “Student-athletes at Robert Morris University are held to the highest standards and, unfortunately, these four individuals have violated university policy. We trust that these young men have learned from their mistake and will bounce back as better individuals as a result of this action.”
The reason for the suspensions have not been specified at this time.
In the immediate future, this is a tough blow for the Colonials, who have gotten out to a 5-0 start in the NEC. Three of the four players who have been suspended have rarely seen the floor this season, yet Worthem is a big loss.
Worthem did not play in last night’s 91-65 drubbing of Sacred Heart. He is Robert Morris’ third-leading scorer on the season, averaging 8.9 ppg in 24.5 mpg.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)