Jan 24, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Stories like this make you smile.
Russ Smith was attending a high school basketball game because he’s good friends with Dean Baumert — a former student manager at Louisville — who is now an assistant coach with Eastern High School. It just so happened that the high school game was part of a double-header, so Smith was there to catch some freshmen girls high school basketball action, as well.
Manual High School’s — Eastern’s opponent — Tonysha Curry, got stood up by her homecoming date. So, what did Curry do? She mustered up enough courage to ask Smith to step in for her date.
“I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can do it. I’m scared,’” Curry told Jason Frakes of Courier-Journal.com. “I just walked over there and said, ‘Excuse me, can you please escort me for homecoming court.’ He was like, ‘Can I do it? Really? Really?’”
One can only imagine Smith’s reaction when approached by the high school freshman — it made his day.
“It actually made my day more than hers,” Smith said. “It was really nice of her to ask me, so I got up and did it for her. … That never happens. It’s one-in-a-million.”
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)