Jan 24, 2014, 11:01 PM EST
Stories like this make you smile.
Russ Smith was attending a high school basketball game because he’s good friends with Dean Baumert — a former student manager at Louisville — who is now an assistant coach with Eastern High School. It just so happened that the high school game was part of a double-header, so Smith was there to catch some freshmen girls high school basketball action, as well.
Manual High School’s — Eastern’s opponent — Tonysha Curry, got stood up by her homecoming date. So, what did Curry do? She mustered up enough courage to ask Smith to step in for her date.
“I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can do it. I’m scared,’” Curry told Jason Frakes of Courier-Journal.com. “I just walked over there and said, ‘Excuse me, can you please escort me for homecoming court.’ He was like, ‘Can I do it? Really? Really?’”
One can only imagine Smith’s reaction when approached by the high school freshman — it made his day.
“It actually made my day more than hers,” Smith said. “It was really nice of her to ask me, so I got up and did it for her. … That never happens. It’s one-in-a-million.”
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)