Jan 24, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Stories like this make you smile.
Russ Smith was attending a high school basketball game because he’s good friends with Dean Baumert — a former student manager at Louisville — who is now an assistant coach with Eastern High School. It just so happened that the high school game was part of a double-header, so Smith was there to catch some freshmen girls high school basketball action, as well.
Manual High School’s — Eastern’s opponent — Tonysha Curry, got stood up by her homecoming date. So, what did Curry do? She mustered up enough courage to ask Smith to step in for her date.
“I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can do it. I’m scared,’” Curry told Jason Frakes of Courier-Journal.com. “I just walked over there and said, ‘Excuse me, can you please escort me for homecoming court.’ He was like, ‘Can I do it? Really? Really?’”
One can only imagine Smith’s reaction when approached by the high school freshman — it made his day.
“It actually made my day more than hers,” Smith said. “It was really nice of her to ask me, so I got up and did it for her. … That never happens. It’s one-in-a-million.”
- Five-star wing Brandon Ingram elevates his play during July 0
- CBT Quotables Part 1: Jawun Evans, Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere and more 1
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 2 Recap: Huntington Prep tandem enjoys productive Thursday 0
- adidas Unrivaled Day 1: Brandon Ingram gets the best of Jaylen Brown, Ray Smith hurts his knee 0
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 2 Recap: Derrick Jones puts on a show 1
- Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player 1
- Diamond Stone discusses his package deal, recent weight loss 2
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (9)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)
- Report: Naadir Tharpe to turn pro (3)