Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
How many years does the storied Carrier Dome have left in it?
Syracuse University is still in the early stages of mulling over plans for building a new 44,000 seat sports arena, but assuming the vision of the university is brought to fruition, it would take roughly four years for the construction of the stadium to be completed.
The Carrier Dome isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, but Syracuse is looking for an upgrade in the future.
According to Dave Tobin of Syracuse.com, Syracuse delivered a letter to Stephanie Miner — the mayor of the city — detailing many points of the proposed stadium.
It is important to note that discussions for this project have never involved funding from the city of Syracuse.
Some of the major points outlined in the letter:
- a $495 million cost for a 44,000 seat arena with retractable roof. The amount does not include parking or land acquisition.
- additional development of a 250-room hotel, over 160 apartments and 150,000 feet of retail space,
- no plan for use of the current Carrier Dome or its site
- the university would be a tenant, not an owner
- a public-private financing plan with investment from the state, Onondaga County and the private sector, including SU.
- annual capital improvements estimated at $1.5 million. The cost of that and the annual operating expenses would be funded directly by stadium revenue
- the favored site is the former Kennedy Square public housing property. It would not be owned by SU
- the facility’s operating budget would pay for the extra police, fire and other public services needed
- property tax arrangements were undecided
- no architect has been selected
To read the letter in its entirety, visit this link.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)