Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 PM EST
How many years does the storied Carrier Dome have left in it?
Syracuse University is still in the early stages of mulling over plans for building a new 44,000 seat sports arena, but assuming the vision of the university is brought to fruition, it would take roughly four years for the construction of the stadium to be completed.
The Carrier Dome isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, but Syracuse is looking for an upgrade in the future.
According to Dave Tobin of Syracuse.com, Syracuse delivered a letter to Stephanie Miner — the mayor of the city — detailing many points of the proposed stadium.
It is important to note that discussions for this project have never involved funding from the city of Syracuse.
Some of the major points outlined in the letter:
- a $495 million cost for a 44,000 seat arena with retractable roof. The amount does not include parking or land acquisition.
- additional development of a 250-room hotel, over 160 apartments and 150,000 feet of retail space,
- no plan for use of the current Carrier Dome or its site
- the university would be a tenant, not an owner
- a public-private financing plan with investment from the state, Onondaga County and the private sector, including SU.
- annual capital improvements estimated at $1.5 million. The cost of that and the annual operating expenses would be funded directly by stadium revenue
- the favored site is the former Kennedy Square public housing property. It would not be owned by SU
- the facility’s operating budget would pay for the extra police, fire and other public services needed
- property tax arrangements were undecided
- no architect has been selected
To read the letter in its entirety, visit this link.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)