Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
How many years does the storied Carrier Dome have left in it?
Syracuse University is still in the early stages of mulling over plans for building a new 44,000 seat sports arena, but assuming the vision of the university is brought to fruition, it would take roughly four years for the construction of the stadium to be completed.
The Carrier Dome isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, but Syracuse is looking for an upgrade in the future.
According to Dave Tobin of Syracuse.com, Syracuse delivered a letter to Stephanie Miner — the mayor of the city — detailing many points of the proposed stadium.
It is important to note that discussions for this project have never involved funding from the city of Syracuse.
Some of the major points outlined in the letter:
- a $495 million cost for a 44,000 seat arena with retractable roof. The amount does not include parking or land acquisition.
- additional development of a 250-room hotel, over 160 apartments and 150,000 feet of retail space,
- no plan for use of the current Carrier Dome or its site
- the university would be a tenant, not an owner
- a public-private financing plan with investment from the state, Onondaga County and the private sector, including SU.
- annual capital improvements estimated at $1.5 million. The cost of that and the annual operating expenses would be funded directly by stadium revenue
- the favored site is the former Kennedy Square public housing property. It would not be owned by SU
- the facility’s operating budget would pay for the extra police, fire and other public services needed
- property tax arrangements were undecided
- no architect has been selected
To read the letter in its entirety, visit this link.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Loyd is converting from point guard to wide receiver.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Bulls announced the fifth departure this spring.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins is the most searched athlete in two states, according to a recent study.
Apr 22, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Ron Hunter is loading up on talented transfers
Apr 22, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Auburn will accept the punishment that has been given to Pearl by the NCAA.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting for a decision from four players.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Darius is the younger brother of former Illini guard Brandon Paul.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
The ACC schedule is what happens when leagues get too big.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is the best big man in a loaded class of bigs, according to Rivals.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
K.J. McDaniels might win an NBA dunk contest one day.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)