Jan 25, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Texas owns a five-game winning streak and has three consecutive wins when facing top-25 opponents. The Longhorns continued their winning ways on Saturday as they thoroughly outplayed No. 24 Baylor on the way to a 74-60 win over the Bears for a Big 12 road win.
In a must-win home game for Baylor after starting Big 12 play at 1-4, the Bears came out completely flat. Baylor shot 3-for-17 from the three-point line, shot 32 percent from the field overall, and head coach Scott Drew was out of timeouts with seven minutes left in a game in which Baylor (13-6, 1-5) trailed by double-digits — at home — for much of the second half.
Texas (16-4, 5-2) relied on stingy defense and the scoring pop of Isaiah Taylor to carry them from there. Taylor had 27 points for the Longhorns and, on the interior, Rick Barnes has to be pleased with the play of Jonathan Holmes and Cameron Ridley during conference play.
After Holmes and Ridley played very well last week against Iowa State, the duo imposed their will against Baylor as Holmes went for 14 points, eight rebounds and four assists and Ridley tallied eight points and 14 rebounds. Ridley has been solid in Big 12 play as the sophomore big man has double-digit rebounds in three of the five wins during Texas’ winning streak and he’s averaging 8.8 rebounds per game during Big 12 play.
Texas is in great shape at 5-2 in the Big 12 and they’re one of the biggest surprises of this season.
Baylor, on the other hand, needs to figure things out quickly. The Bears own solid wins over Colorado and Kentucky, but at 1-5 in the Big 12 with their three games after hosting West Virginia coming against ranked opponents — at Oklahoma State, vs. Kansas, at Oklahoma — the Bears don’t have a lot of time to keep playing this poorly.
Baylor is still talented enough to win some of those games and rally, but right now they’re playing flat and uninspired ball in the middle of the conference season and that is never a good sign.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)