Jan 26, 2014, 2:57 AM EST
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 21 Michigan 80, No. 3 Michigan State 75
Michigan won its ninth straight game on Saturday night, using an 8-0 run to take control late in regulation. Nik Stauskas and Derrick Walton Jr. scored 19 points apiece for the Wolverines, who are now the Big Ten’s lone undefeated team. Gary Harris scored 27 to lead the way for Michigan State, but not having forwards Branden Dawson and Adreian Payne proved costly for the Spartans.
The Wildcats could have gone in the tank following a poor charge call on Tony Chennault at the end of regulation but they didn’t, ending Marquette’s 20-game conference home win streak in the process. Ryan Arcidiacono put together one of his best games as a distributor, finishing with 20 points, 11 assists and no turnovers.
2) No. 7 San Diego State 74, Utah State 69 (OT)
Xavier Thames scored a career-high 31 points to lead the Aztecs to a tough win in Logan. Spencer Butterfield’s three-pointer with 2.5 seconds remaining in regulation sent the game to overtime but it was all Thames in the extra session, as he scored ten of San Diego State’s 17 points.
Isaiah Taylor scored 27 points to lead the Longhorns to their fifth consecutive win while dropping the reeling Bears to 1-5 in Big 12 play. Rick Barnes has a better mix of players this season, and it’s paid off in a big way for the man who began this season on just about every “hot seat” list.
1) Aaric Murray (Texas Southern)
26 points and 19 rebounds in the Tigers’ 94-56 win over Mississippi Valley State.
2) J.J. Mann (Belmont)
34 points, eight rebounds and three assists in the Bruins’ 84-81 win over Eastern Kentucky.
3) Tristan Carey (Longwood)
Carey scored 37 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the Lancers’ 88-85 win at Charleston Southern.
1) Jordan McRae (Tennessee)
Shot 1-for-15 from the field in the Volunteers’ 67-41 loss at No. 6 Florida.
The Buffaloes shot 9-for-24 from the foul line in their 72-51 loss at Arizona State.
3) J.J. Avila (Colorado State)
Avila shot 1-for-12 from the field, scoring eight points and grabbing 12 rebounds in a 68-66 loss to New Mexico.
- No. 2 Syracuse and No. 5 Wichita State both picked up road wins to remain undefeated, with the Orange beating Miami 64-52 and the Shockers outclassing Drake 78-61.
- No. 18 Duke shot just 30.5% from the field, but they forced 17 turnovers in their 78-56 win over Florida State. The win is Mike Krzyzewski’s 900th at Duke.
- No. 16 Iowa State ended its three-game losing streak with an 81-75 win over No. 22 Kansas State. Melvin Ejim led the way with 20 points, nine rebounds and three blocks.
- Devin Thomas scored 21 points on 10-for-11 shooting as Wake Forest remained undefeated at home with a 65-58 win over Notre Dame.
- No. 6 Florida whipped Tennessee 67-41, limiting the Volunteers to 26.8% shooting from the field and 1-for-19 from three.
- Larry Nance Jr.’s jump hook in the final seconds of overtime gave Wyoming a 64-62 win over Nevada. Nance finished with 19 points, 11 rebounds and three assists, thoroughly outplaying Nevada’s A.J. West.
- On a night that featured the retirement of Eddie House’s jersey, Arizona State beat Colorado with Jahii Carson’s 18 points, six rebounds and four assists leading the way. Colorado shot 9-for-24 from the foul line.
- Doug McDermott scored just 14 points but it was balance that led Creighton to the 76-63 win over Georgetown. Five players scored in double figures, with Will Artino (14 points) and Devin Brooks (11) combining to score 25 off the bench.
- Kevin Pangos scored 24 points and Sam Dower added 18 in Gonzaga’s 84-69 win over BYU.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 8 Kansas 91, TCU 69
- No. 9 Wisconsin 72, Purdue 58
- No. 10 Iowa 76, Northwestern 50
- No. 11 Oklahoma State 81, West Virginia 75
- No. 14 Kentucky 79, Georgia 54
- No. 20 Pittsburgh 83, Maryland 79
- No. 25 Oklahoma 74, Texas Tech 65
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)