Jan 26, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
With 15 minutes to play, North Carolina State trailed Georgia Tech 52-41 at home. Less than eight minutes later Desmond Lee put the Wolfpack up by one. Lee came up big again with only seconds remaining, banking in a second-chance opportunity to force overtime.
In the extra session, NC State — after T.J. Warren’s last-second runner — saw Georgia Tech’s final attempt; a Chris Bolden 3-point attempt clank off the back iron as the Wolfpack pulled out an 80-78 home victory over the Yellow Jackets on Sunday afternoon.
Warren ended with 20 points and six boards. The loss spoils Daniel Miller’s career-high 21 points along with his 10 rebounds.
Trae Golden had a chance to end the game in regulation, but his 3-pointer came up short as time expired. In overtime, he raced the ball up the floor after Warren’s shot in the lane. He pulled up for a 3-pointer, at the top of the key with Georgia Tech down two, but before he could get his potential game-leading shot off, he was called for an offensive foul on Lee.
Two missed free throws by Ralston Turner extended the game, giving the Yellow Jackets one-last chance. A hook and later-type play looked good, but was too strong.
Both teams entered the contest with identical 2-4 records in the ACC. This makes three out of four losses for Georgia Tech. As for the Wolfpack, the win gets them within one-game of .500 in conference play. The next four games included contests at home against Florida State and Wake Forest (which previously defeated NC State). Sandwiched in between games with the Seminoles and Demon Deacons is a road trip to North Carolina and Miami.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)