Jan 26, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
With 15 minutes to play, North Carolina State trailed Georgia Tech 52-41 at home. Less than eight minutes later Desmond Lee put the Wolfpack up by one. Lee came up big again with only seconds remaining, banking in a second-chance opportunity to force overtime.
In the extra session, NC State — after T.J. Warren’s last-second runner — saw Georgia Tech’s final attempt; a Chris Bolden 3-point attempt clank off the back iron as the Wolfpack pulled out an 80-78 home victory over the Yellow Jackets on Sunday afternoon.
Warren ended with 20 points and six boards. The loss spoils Daniel Miller’s career-high 21 points along with his 10 rebounds.
Trae Golden had a chance to end the game in regulation, but his 3-pointer came up short as time expired. In overtime, he raced the ball up the floor after Warren’s shot in the lane. He pulled up for a 3-pointer, at the top of the key with Georgia Tech down two, but before he could get his potential game-leading shot off, he was called for an offensive foul on Lee.
Two missed free throws by Ralston Turner extended the game, giving the Yellow Jackets one-last chance. A hook and later-type play looked good, but was too strong.
Both teams entered the contest with identical 2-4 records in the ACC. This makes three out of four losses for Georgia Tech. As for the Wolfpack, the win gets them within one-game of .500 in conference play. The next four games included contests at home against Florida State and Wake Forest (which previously defeated NC State). Sandwiched in between games with the Seminoles and Demon Deacons is a road trip to North Carolina and Miami.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)