Jan 26, 2014, 3:48 PM EST
With 15 minutes to play, North Carolina State trailed Georgia Tech 52-41 at home. Less than eight minutes later Desmond Lee put the Wolfpack up by one. Lee came up big again with only seconds remaining, banking in a second-chance opportunity to force overtime.
In the extra session, NC State — after T.J. Warren’s last-second runner — saw Georgia Tech’s final attempt; a Chris Bolden 3-point attempt clank off the back iron as the Wolfpack pulled out an 80-78 home victory over the Yellow Jackets on Sunday afternoon.
Warren ended with 20 points and six boards. The loss spoils Daniel Miller’s career-high 21 points along with his 10 rebounds.
Trae Golden had a chance to end the game in regulation, but his 3-pointer came up short as time expired. In overtime, he raced the ball up the floor after Warren’s shot in the lane. He pulled up for a 3-pointer, at the top of the key with Georgia Tech down two, but before he could get his potential game-leading shot off, he was called for an offensive foul on Lee.
Two missed free throws by Ralston Turner extended the game, giving the Yellow Jackets one-last chance. A hook and later-type play looked good, but was too strong.
Both teams entered the contest with identical 2-4 records in the ACC. This makes three out of four losses for Georgia Tech. As for the Wolfpack, the win gets them within one-game of .500 in conference play. The next four games included contests at home against Florida State and Wake Forest (which previously defeated NC State). Sandwiched in between games with the Seminoles and Demon Deacons is a road trip to North Carolina and Miami.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)