Jan 26, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
With 15 minutes to play, North Carolina State trailed Georgia Tech 52-41 at home. Less than eight minutes later Desmond Lee put the Wolfpack up by one. Lee came up big again with only seconds remaining, banking in a second-chance opportunity to force overtime.
In the extra session, NC State — after T.J. Warren’s last-second runner — saw Georgia Tech’s final attempt; a Chris Bolden 3-point attempt clank off the back iron as the Wolfpack pulled out an 80-78 home victory over the Yellow Jackets on Sunday afternoon.
Warren ended with 20 points and six boards. The loss spoils Daniel Miller’s career-high 21 points along with his 10 rebounds.
Trae Golden had a chance to end the game in regulation, but his 3-pointer came up short as time expired. In overtime, he raced the ball up the floor after Warren’s shot in the lane. He pulled up for a 3-pointer, at the top of the key with Georgia Tech down two, but before he could get his potential game-leading shot off, he was called for an offensive foul on Lee.
Two missed free throws by Ralston Turner extended the game, giving the Yellow Jackets one-last chance. A hook and later-type play looked good, but was too strong.
Both teams entered the contest with identical 2-4 records in the ACC. This makes three out of four losses for Georgia Tech. As for the Wolfpack, the win gets them within one-game of .500 in conference play. The next four games included contests at home against Florida State and Wake Forest (which previously defeated NC State). Sandwiched in between games with the Seminoles and Demon Deacons is a road trip to North Carolina and Miami.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)