Jan 27, 2014, 10:27 AM EST
Tom Gola, one of the greatest college basketball players of all time, passed away on Sunday night. He was 81 years old.
Gola was Philly through and through. A native of the city, he won a Catholic League title at La Salle High School before heading to La Salle University where he would become one of just two collegiate players to ever gather more than 2,000 points and 2,000 rebounds.
“Every person connected with La Salle basketball for over a 60 year span has held his friendship and leadership as a blessing they could always count on,” La Salle coach John Giannini said. “Our deepest sympathies go to Caroline. Our community will forever hold the Gola name as synonymous with greatness.”
After his basketball career came to an end, Gola served the city as a politician.
“Tom Gola was a Philadelphia icon and a treasure for La Salle. His contributions as a player and coach provided La Salle with a true national profile,” Tom Brennan, Explorers athletic director, said in a statement. “Tom’s athletic accomplishments and athletic career were second to none.”
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)