Jan 27, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
The big news coming out of Fort Collins on Saturday wasn’t that New Mexico went into Moby Arena and knocked off Colorado State, it’s that they did so without Alex Kirk on the court.
Kirk sat out with an undisclosed injury and was officially listed as day-to-day.
The Lobos never went back to New Mexico after the win, opting to head up to Logan, UT, to prepare for Tuesday’s game at Utah State instead. According to a report from Geoff Grammer of the Albuquerque Journal, a determination as to Kirk’s playing status had not yet been made.
That’s not unusual. For starters, if Kirk’s injury isn’t all that serious, it may simply be a situation where he needs to figure out if he can tolerate the pain he is dealing with. The Lobos also don’t want to tip their hand to the Aggies. Stew Morrill may prepare his team differently if he knew Kirk would be out of the lineup.
Grammer also provided a bit more context on what the actual injury is:
The Journal can confirm that initial reports indicating Kirk has a foot injury, including one from the official @UNMHoops Twitter account that used the phrase “foot injury,” were erroneous. Kirk’s injury is in the lower leg, not in the foot or ankle. Doctors did not find a break when they examined him after Tuesday’s win over Boise State or when they did further testing Wednesday, Neal said.
Losing Kirk would hurt, but it obviously isn’t a death blow for the Lobos. Cameron Bairstow has been fantastic this season, and with Hugh Greenwood and Cullen Neal finally healthy, this team has enough weapons to survive.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)