Jan 27, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Louisville forward Chane Behanan will transfer to Colorado State for his final season of eligibility, according to a report from Jason King of Bleacher Report.
Behanan, who is still in Houston receiving treatment for personal issues at the John Lucas Treatment and Recovery Center, has already enrolled in online courses at the university. He will be eligible to play in December but will remain in Houston through the spring, King reported.
“I am extremely excited to have Chane enrolled at Colorado State,” Colorado State head coach LarryEustachy said in a school release. “It is a great fit for both of us. He is a tremendous kid, and I really enjoyed getting to know him during his brief visit to Fort Collins.
“Chane is one of most talented players in the country, and he will be a key addition to our program next season. He has excelled at the highest level of collegiate athletics and there is no doubt that he will be one of the highest profile players to ever compete on the hardwood for the Rams.”
During his time in Louisville, the Cincinnati native had been in and out of trouble. Before getting kicked off the team in December, Behanan was suspended indefinitely in October.
He was averaging 7.6 points and 6.3 boards this season, numbers that were way down from what the former McDonald’s All-American averaged in Louisville’s run to the National Title last season.
Eustachy worked with John Lucas to get himself sober after his infamously got fired from Iowa State after pictures surfaced of him drinking with students at a frat party on a road trip to Missouri. It hasn’t been publicly stated or reported that issues with substance abuse is the reason that Behanan was dismissed from Louisville, but if that was the cause of his continued issues with the Cardinals, going to play for a coach that has beaten his own substance abuse demons could end up being a great decision.
“I respect Coach Eustachy and what he’s been through. We have a good connection,”Behanan told King.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)