Jan 27, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Louisville forward Chane Behanan will transfer to Colorado State for his final season of eligibility, according to a report from Jason King of Bleacher Report.
Behanan, who is still in Houston receiving treatment for personal issues at the John Lucas Treatment and Recovery Center, has already enrolled in online courses at the university. He will be eligible to play in December but will remain in Houston through the spring, King reported.
“I am extremely excited to have Chane enrolled at Colorado State,” Colorado State head coach LarryEustachy said in a school release. “It is a great fit for both of us. He is a tremendous kid, and I really enjoyed getting to know him during his brief visit to Fort Collins.
“Chane is one of most talented players in the country, and he will be a key addition to our program next season. He has excelled at the highest level of collegiate athletics and there is no doubt that he will be one of the highest profile players to ever compete on the hardwood for the Rams.”
During his time in Louisville, the Cincinnati native had been in and out of trouble. Before getting kicked off the team in December, Behanan was suspended indefinitely in October.
He was averaging 7.6 points and 6.3 boards this season, numbers that were way down from what the former McDonald’s All-American averaged in Louisville’s run to the National Title last season.
Eustachy worked with John Lucas to get himself sober after his infamously got fired from Iowa State after pictures surfaced of him drinking with students at a frat party on a road trip to Missouri. It hasn’t been publicly stated or reported that issues with substance abuse is the reason that Behanan was dismissed from Louisville, but if that was the cause of his continued issues with the Cardinals, going to play for a coach that has beaten his own substance abuse demons could end up being a great decision.
“I respect Coach Eustachy and what he’s been through. We have a good connection,”Behanan told King.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)