Jan 27, 2014, 9:15 AM EST
SMU’s McDonald’s All-American freshman Keith Frazier was a huge recruiting coup for head coach Larry Brown, but according to a report from WFAA, an ABC affiliate in Dallas, there’s a possibility that Frazier should not have been allowed to graduate from high school.
Frazier was reportedly failing or behind in three classes at the end of 2013 and did not have enough credit hours to graduate high school.
That would have put his NCAA eligibility and college scholarship in jeopardy. A Dallas Independent School District investigation has found that Frazier’s questionable grades were changed to keep him eligible.
On May 29, a week after the final days of class for seniors, Frazier’s “failing” grade in physics was mysteriously changed to “passing,” the report states.
According to the report, Kimball soccer coach and teacher’s assistant Demarco King improperly pressured Frazier’s physics teacher to change Frazier’s grade. When the teacher refused, King admitted to investigators that he changed the grade himself.
King no longer works for the school.
According to the report, assistant Kimball basketball coach Toby Daniels also tried to pressure other teachers to change Frazier’s grades.
The report also questions what and when the SMU coaching staff knew about Frazier’s academic issues.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)