Jan 27, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
SMU’s McDonald’s All-American freshman Keith Frazier was a huge recruiting coup for head coach Larry Brown, but according to a report from WFAA, an ABC affiliate in Dallas, there’s a possibility that Frazier should not have been allowed to graduate from high school.
Frazier was reportedly failing or behind in three classes at the end of 2013 and did not have enough credit hours to graduate high school.
That would have put his NCAA eligibility and college scholarship in jeopardy. A Dallas Independent School District investigation has found that Frazier’s questionable grades were changed to keep him eligible.
On May 29, a week after the final days of class for seniors, Frazier’s “failing” grade in physics was mysteriously changed to “passing,” the report states.
According to the report, Kimball soccer coach and teacher’s assistant Demarco King improperly pressured Frazier’s physics teacher to change Frazier’s grade. When the teacher refused, King admitted to investigators that he changed the grade himself.
King no longer works for the school.
According to the report, assistant Kimball basketball coach Toby Daniels also tried to pressure other teachers to change Frazier’s grades.
The report also questions what and when the SMU coaching staff knew about Frazier’s academic issues.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)