Jan 27, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
SMU’s McDonald’s All-American freshman Keith Frazier was a huge recruiting coup for head coach Larry Brown, but according to a report from WFAA, an ABC affiliate in Dallas, there’s a possibility that Frazier should not have been allowed to graduate from high school.
Frazier was reportedly failing or behind in three classes at the end of 2013 and did not have enough credit hours to graduate high school.
That would have put his NCAA eligibility and college scholarship in jeopardy. A Dallas Independent School District investigation has found that Frazier’s questionable grades were changed to keep him eligible.
On May 29, a week after the final days of class for seniors, Frazier’s “failing” grade in physics was mysteriously changed to “passing,” the report states.
According to the report, Kimball soccer coach and teacher’s assistant Demarco King improperly pressured Frazier’s physics teacher to change Frazier’s grade. When the teacher refused, King admitted to investigators that he changed the grade himself.
King no longer works for the school.
According to the report, assistant Kimball basketball coach Toby Daniels also tried to pressure other teachers to change Frazier’s grades.
The report also questions what and when the SMU coaching staff knew about Frazier’s academic issues.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)