Jan 27, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Adreian Payne has missed the last five games with a sprained foot, and it finally caught up to the Spartans on Saturday as they lost to Michigan in East Lansing.
On Tuesday, the Spartans head down to Iowa City to take on the Hawkeyes, and head coach Tom Izzo doesn’t expect to have Payne in the lineup for that game.
“I don’t know if it’s a couple of weeks, but he’s day-to-day,” Izzo on the Big Ten teleconference on Monday morning. “He ran yesterday a little bit more, with more weight on it, but he’s very doubtful for tomorrow. How he does Wednesday and Thursday will determine the rest of the week.” He described Payne’s status as “slim to none to none.”
Payne isn’t the only player the Spartans are missing, as Branden Dawson will be out around another four weeks with a broken hand. And it certainly doesn’t help matters that Keith Appling is dealing with nagging wrist and hip injuries, although he won’t be sitting out with Michigan State’s starting front line currently out.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)