Jan 28, 2014, 12:54 AM EST
James Bell scored 16 points to lead the way for No. 9 Villanova as they won a game that would have pleased those folks that are pining for the Old Big East.
The final score was 65-60 in a game that featured 34 turnovers, 39 fouls and just 41 field goals.
It wasn’t one for the highlight reels, but it was the first time in about a month that Georgetown actually showed some life. Markel Starks led the way with 20 points and five assists as the Hoyas jumped out to an 8-0 lead and ensured that this would not be a blowout. And while the Wildcats ended up pulling away down the stretch, this loss will hurt more than normal for the Hoyas because they are already in a tough position when it comes to the NCAA tournament.
They are currently sitting at 11-9 overall and 3-6 in the Big East, having lost their last five games. Those wins over Kansas State and VCU will look good on Selection Sunday, but they certainly aren’t enough to support a resume that includes losses to Northeastern and Seton Hall.
Georgetown will close the season with four games against Xavier, Marquette, Creighton and Villanova, but the most important game of their season could end up being on Saturday. They take on No. 7 Michigan State at Madison Square Garden, a chance to pick up a win over one of the best teams in the country in a game where the Spartans will be short-handed.
That won’t solve their issues completely, but snapping a five-game losing streak and picking up as good of a win as there is available this season is a not a bad way to try to turn the season around.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)