Jan 28, 2014, 12:54 AM EST
James Bell scored 16 points to lead the way for No. 9 Villanova as they won a game that would have pleased those folks that are pining for the Old Big East.
The final score was 65-60 in a game that featured 34 turnovers, 39 fouls and just 41 field goals.
It wasn’t one for the highlight reels, but it was the first time in about a month that Georgetown actually showed some life. Markel Starks led the way with 20 points and five assists as the Hoyas jumped out to an 8-0 lead and ensured that this would not be a blowout. And while the Wildcats ended up pulling away down the stretch, this loss will hurt more than normal for the Hoyas because they are already in a tough position when it comes to the NCAA tournament.
They are currently sitting at 11-9 overall and 3-6 in the Big East, having lost their last five games. Those wins over Kansas State and VCU will look good on Selection Sunday, but they certainly aren’t enough to support a resume that includes losses to Northeastern and Seton Hall.
Georgetown will close the season with four games against Xavier, Marquette, Creighton and Villanova, but the most important game of their season could end up being on Saturday. They take on No. 7 Michigan State at Madison Square Garden, a chance to pick up a win over one of the best teams in the country in a game where the Spartans will be short-handed.
That won’t solve their issues completely, but snapping a five-game losing streak and picking up as good of a win as there is available this season is a not a bad way to try to turn the season around.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)