Jan 28, 2014, 12:54 AM EDT
James Bell scored 16 points to lead the way for No. 9 Villanova as they won a game that would have pleased those folks that are pining for the Old Big East.
The final score was 65-60 in a game that featured 34 turnovers, 39 fouls and just 41 field goals.
It wasn’t one for the highlight reels, but it was the first time in about a month that Georgetown actually showed some life. Markel Starks led the way with 20 points and five assists as the Hoyas jumped out to an 8-0 lead and ensured that this would not be a blowout. And while the Wildcats ended up pulling away down the stretch, this loss will hurt more than normal for the Hoyas because they are already in a tough position when it comes to the NCAA tournament.
They are currently sitting at 11-9 overall and 3-6 in the Big East, having lost their last five games. Those wins over Kansas State and VCU will look good on Selection Sunday, but they certainly aren’t enough to support a resume that includes losses to Northeastern and Seton Hall.
Georgetown will close the season with four games against Xavier, Marquette, Creighton and Villanova, but the most important game of their season could end up being on Saturday. They take on No. 7 Michigan State at Madison Square Garden, a chance to pick up a win over one of the best teams in the country in a game where the Spartans will be short-handed.
That won’t solve their issues completely, but snapping a five-game losing streak and picking up as good of a win as there is available this season is a not a bad way to try to turn the season around.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)