Jan 28, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Louisville has won four straight games after dropping a conference game at home against Memphis on Jan. 9. The last three wins for No. 12 Louisville have come without the services off first-year transfer point guard Chris Jones, who has been dealing with an oblique injury suffered in the Cardinals win over SMU on Jan. 12.
The Cardinals haven’t played since last Wednesday — a win over South Florida — and in that time Jones has returned to practice. The eight-day break has been a boost for Jones’ recovery, who could see a return to the floor this week, according to a report from Jeff Greer of the Courier-Journal, in time for Thursday night’s matchup with No. 13 Cincinnati, the top team in the American.
“We’d play well with Chris as well,” Pitino said after Louisville’s win over South Florida. “He’s only going to enhance our play.”
Freshman Terry Rozier has assumed the role of point guard in Jones’ absence, and has played well in the expanded role. In three wins over Houston, UConn and South Florida, he averaged 7.7 points, 4.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 steals. Rozier committed just two turnovers n 87 minutes.
Jones has posted averages of 11.3 points, 2.9 assists and 2.2 rebounds per game for Louisville this season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)