Jan 28, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Louisville has won four straight games after dropping a conference game at home against Memphis on Jan. 9. The last three wins for No. 12 Louisville have come without the services off first-year transfer point guard Chris Jones, who has been dealing with an oblique injury suffered in the Cardinals win over SMU on Jan. 12.
The Cardinals haven’t played since last Wednesday — a win over South Florida — and in that time Jones has returned to practice. The eight-day break has been a boost for Jones’ recovery, who could see a return to the floor this week, according to a report from Jeff Greer of the Courier-Journal, in time for Thursday night’s matchup with No. 13 Cincinnati, the top team in the American.
“We’d play well with Chris as well,” Pitino said after Louisville’s win over South Florida. “He’s only going to enhance our play.”
Freshman Terry Rozier has assumed the role of point guard in Jones’ absence, and has played well in the expanded role. In three wins over Houston, UConn and South Florida, he averaged 7.7 points, 4.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 steals. Rozier committed just two turnovers n 87 minutes.
Jones has posted averages of 11.3 points, 2.9 assists and 2.2 rebounds per game for Louisville this season.
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)