Jan 28, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
Louisville has won four straight games after dropping a conference game at home against Memphis on Jan. 9. The last three wins for No. 12 Louisville have come without the services off first-year transfer point guard Chris Jones, who has been dealing with an oblique injury suffered in the Cardinals win over SMU on Jan. 12.
The Cardinals haven’t played since last Wednesday — a win over South Florida — and in that time Jones has returned to practice. The eight-day break has been a boost for Jones’ recovery, who could see a return to the floor this week, according to a report from Jeff Greer of the Courier-Journal, in time for Thursday night’s matchup with No. 13 Cincinnati, the top team in the American.
“We’d play well with Chris as well,” Pitino said after Louisville’s win over South Florida. “He’s only going to enhance our play.”
Freshman Terry Rozier has assumed the role of point guard in Jones’ absence, and has played well in the expanded role. In three wins over Houston, UConn and South Florida, he averaged 7.7 points, 4.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 steals. Rozier committed just two turnovers n 87 minutes.
Jones has posted averages of 11.3 points, 2.9 assists and 2.2 rebounds per game for Louisville this season.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)