Jan 28, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Injuries have been an unfortunately stable presence in No. 7 Michigan State’s season. A noticeable injury in recent weeks has been 6-foot-10 senior forward Adreian Payne, who has been sidelined, wearing a boot on his foot, for the past five games.
Expect that number to rise to at least seven games, according to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN on Tuesday afternoon. Michigan State Tom Izzo has ruled his senior forward out for the next two games, meaning Payne will be in street clothes for Tuesday night’s top-15 showdown against Iowa and a non-conference matchup against Georgetown on Saturday afternoon at Madison Square Garden.
Izzo also announced that Payne, the team’s second-leading scorer and rebounder at 16.2 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, could return to action against Penn State on Feb. 6 in East Lansing. Three days after hosting the Nittany Lions, the Spartans go head-to-head with No. 14 Wisconsin inside the Kohl Center.
With Payne out, Michigan State is 4-1, with the lone loss coming on Saturday against Michigan. The Spartans trail Michigan by 1/2 a game in the Big Ten Conference standings, ahead of Iowa by a 1 1/2 games.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)