Jan 28, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Injuries have been an unfortunately stable presence in No. 7 Michigan State’s season. A noticeable injury in recent weeks has been 6-foot-10 senior forward Adreian Payne, who has been sidelined, wearing a boot on his foot, for the past five games.
Expect that number to rise to at least seven games, according to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN on Tuesday afternoon. Michigan State Tom Izzo has ruled his senior forward out for the next two games, meaning Payne will be in street clothes for Tuesday night’s top-15 showdown against Iowa and a non-conference matchup against Georgetown on Saturday afternoon at Madison Square Garden.
Izzo also announced that Payne, the team’s second-leading scorer and rebounder at 16.2 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, could return to action against Penn State on Feb. 6 in East Lansing. Three days after hosting the Nittany Lions, the Spartans go head-to-head with No. 14 Wisconsin inside the Kohl Center.
With Payne out, Michigan State is 4-1, with the lone loss coming on Saturday against Michigan. The Spartans trail Michigan by 1/2 a game in the Big Ten Conference standings, ahead of Iowa by a 1 1/2 games.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)