Jan 28, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Injuries have been an unfortunately stable presence in No. 7 Michigan State’s season. A noticeable injury in recent weeks has been 6-foot-10 senior forward Adreian Payne, who has been sidelined, wearing a boot on his foot, for the past five games.
Expect that number to rise to at least seven games, according to a report from Andy Katz of ESPN on Tuesday afternoon. Michigan State Tom Izzo has ruled his senior forward out for the next two games, meaning Payne will be in street clothes for Tuesday night’s top-15 showdown against Iowa and a non-conference matchup against Georgetown on Saturday afternoon at Madison Square Garden.
Izzo also announced that Payne, the team’s second-leading scorer and rebounder at 16.2 points and 7.7 rebounds per game, could return to action against Penn State on Feb. 6 in East Lansing. Three days after hosting the Nittany Lions, the Spartans go head-to-head with No. 14 Wisconsin inside the Kohl Center.
With Payne out, Michigan State is 4-1, with the lone loss coming on Saturday against Michigan. The Spartans trail Michigan by 1/2 a game in the Big Ten Conference standings, ahead of Iowa by a 1 1/2 games.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)