Jan 28, 2014, 8:25 AM EST
It’s now official: Australian phenom Dante Exum will be skipping college and entering the NBA Draft.
The news was first reported by Chad Ford of ESPN.com. He will sign with Rob Pelinka, an agent that also represents Kobe Bryant, James Harden and Andre Drummond.
Exum is the son of Cecil Exum, a former North Carolina player, so there was speculation that he may try to play at least one season of college ball. But after a standout performance at the U-19 World Championships this summer allowed NBA scouts to see Exum go up against some of the best players in his age group solidified his as a potential top five pick, Exum’s decision was all-but made. His U-19 performance came after he made a name for himself at the Nike Hoop Summit last April.
Exum is an athletic, 6-foot-6 guard that is enough of a scorer to play off the ball but a good enough playmaker to handle the point guard spot. The two biggest concerns about his game are his ability to shoot from the perimeter and the fact that scouts just haven’t seen him play all that much.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)