Jan 29, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT
Air Force left home starting point guard and leading scorer Tre Coggins at home as they departed on a road trip that will take them to Boise State and Nevada. The news was first reported by Brett Briggeman of The Gazette.
Coggins was suspended by head coach Dave Pilipovich for failing to live up to the “standards that we expect out of our cadet athletes”, although he is not kicked off the team and is expected back at practice on Monday.
“It was not an academy decision; it was a men’s basketball program decision,” Pilipovich said. “Sometimes players just have to mature and get through some things and this was for the betterment of the team right now and where we’re at.”
Coggins leads the team in minutes played and averages 17.4 points.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)