Jan 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
It’s officially time to be worried if you’re an Ohio State fan.
On Wednesday night, the No. 23 Buckeyes lost at home in overtime to Penn State, 71-70. It’s their fifth loss in six games, which has dropped them to 3-5 in the Big Ten. The Nittany Lions are better than they get credit for this season, but they aren’t good enough to be winning road games against the best of the Big Ten.
Which brings me to my next point: Ohio State is not one of the best teams in the Big Ten, which we all figured out when they lost four games in a row. But are they an NCAA tournament team?
Hear me out.
Look at Ohio State’s non-conference resume. They won at Marquette, which looked like an awesome win at the time but has turned into just another road win against a likely NIT team. They beat Maryland and Notre Dame, two teams that have yet to be competitive in the ACC this season. Their Big Ten wins right now? Purdue, Nebraska and Illinois.
Here’s the bigger problem: what games will the Buckeyes be able to win the rest of the season? Their next two games are at Wisconsin and at Iowa, two teams that cannot afford to lose another game at home. They get both Michigan and Michigan State at home, but the Wolverines are playing as well as anyone in the country and the Spartans game falls on the last day of the regular season. I don’t think this Buckeye team can beat a healthy Spartan team.
The strength of this Ohio State team was supposed to be their defense.
On Wednesday, they lost a game where they held Penn State’s best player, Tim Frazier, to eight points and six turnovers, held a seven-point lead with three minutes left in regulation and a three-point lead with less than a minute left in overtime.
The Buckeyes have a lot of work to do over the next month.
If their defense isn’t going to buoy them to home wins over the bottom of the league, how many wins are they actually going to be able to get?
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)