Jan 29, 2014, 10:07 PM EST
Oregon head coach Dana Altman revealed some potentially significant news on Wednesday afternoon.
Johnathan Loyd, who has been the starting point guard for the Ducks for the majority of the season, broke his nose on Tuesday during a rebounding drill.
“He caught an elbow and it was just an accident, so he missed practice yesterday,” Altman told Matt Prehm of Duck Territory.
What’s concerning is what Altman didn’t tell Prehm: that Loyd had to undergo surgery:
Surgery was a success.. I'm feelin good
— j loyd (@youngloyd24) January 30, 2014
The Ducks play UCLA on Thursday night in what has turned into a very, very important game for them.
If Loyd had surgery, it’s tough to imagine him playing a day later.
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)