Jan 29, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Oregon head coach Dana Altman revealed some potentially significant news on Wednesday afternoon.
Johnathan Loyd, who has been the starting point guard for the Ducks for the majority of the season, broke his nose on Tuesday during a rebounding drill.
“He caught an elbow and it was just an accident, so he missed practice yesterday,” Altman told Matt Prehm of Duck Territory.
What’s concerning is what Altman didn’t tell Prehm: that Loyd had to undergo surgery:
Surgery was a success.. I'm feelin good
— j loyd (@youngloyd24) January 30, 2014
The Ducks play UCLA on Thursday night in what has turned into a very, very important game for them.
If Loyd had surgery, it’s tough to imagine him playing a day later.
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 31
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 7
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 10
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 2
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (42)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)