Jan 29, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Rhode Island has added a front court player to its program, as the school announced on Wednesday that Chipola (Florida) College power forward Earl Watson is now a member of the team. Watson, who’s listed at 6-foot-7, 250 pounds, will only practice with the team for the remainder of the current season. That will ensure that he has two full seasons of eligibility remaining, beginning with the 2014-15 campaign.
Watson averaged 9.4 points and 6.4 rebounds per game last season at Chipola, a season in which he tallied four double-doubles. Interestingly enough Watson was expected to join the Wichita State program this past summer, however a math class that was not completed resulted in his being unable to do so.
That ultimately led to Watson joining Dan Hurley’s program at Rhode Island, giving the Rams another interior body for practices as the prepare for the remainder of Atlantic 10 play.
“We are happy to have Earl join our basketball program,” Hurley said in the release. “Earl is a nice addition for our roster. He is an experienced, mature player and provides us with another physical presence.”
Watson joins a front court that next season will return (at the very least) Gilvydas Biruta, Hassan Martin and Jarelle Reischel. Mike Aaman hasn’t played since mid-November, undergoing an emergency appendectomy following a loss at Arizona. Aaman was also the victim in an off-campus incident in which he was allegedly assaulted. Jordan Hare took a leave of absence from the team for personal reasons in early February and has not returned since.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)