Jan 29, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 16 Iowa State at No. 6 Kansas, 9:00 p.m.
Iowa State was one of the nation’s most intriguing teams earlier this season, but since Big 12 play started, they’ve fallen off a bit. DeAndre Kane injured his ankle. There was a three-game losing. There was the home loss to (you guessed it) Kansas. Fred Hoiberg’s club will have a chance to get some revenge tonight, but they’re going to have to figure out a way to deal with the monster known as Joel Embiid inside.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 21 UMass at St. Bonaventure, 7:00 p.m.
St. Bonaventure is a tough place to get a win, and while UMass has an impressive record, this is still a team that has had a really bad habit of digging themselves early holes and trying to find a way to scrap their way out of it. Digging a hole in Olean, NY, is not an easy place to dig out of.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: La Salle at George Washington, 7:00 p.m.
La Salle knocked off the Colonials in Philly earlier this month, GW’s only loss in Atlantic 10 play. GW is a tough team at home, but they are still playing without Kethan Savage, who broke his foot and will be out for about another month.
FIVE MORE THINGS TO WATCH:
1) The nation’s top two teams will certainly be on upset alert tonight as they both head on the road. No. 1 Arizona will pay a visit to Stanford while No. 2 Syracuse will be visiting Wake Forest. On paper, those aren’t difficult road trips. In actuality, both Winston-Salem and Palo Alto are tough road legs.
2) Northwestern has had a knack for upsetting teams this season. They’ll visit No. 14 Wisconsin tonight.
3) Arizona State will visit Cal, which will be fun, but not as fun as watching Jahii Carson and Justin Cobbs go head-to-head.
4) Richmond swept a key three-game homestand, but the Spiders will head on the road for a pair of huge games this week. They’re 4-1 in the league but will be paying a visit to No. 19 Saint Louis.
5) UW-Green Bay is on a five-game winning streak and is currently sitting at 7-0 in the Horizon. They’ll visit Valpo tonight.
- No. 22 Memphis at UCF, 7:00 p.m.
- Penn State at No. 24 Ohio State, 7:00 p.m.
- UNC at Georgia Tech, 7:00 p.m.
- Ole Miss at Tennessee, 8:00 p.m.
- Florida State at N.C. State, 9:00 p.m.
- UNLV at San Jose State, 10:00 p.m.
- Gonzaga at Santa Clara, 11:00 p.m.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)