Jan 30, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
We’re approaching panic time for Indiana Hoosier fans.
On Thursday night, Tom Crean’s club was outscored 41-23 in the second half by Nebraska, blowing a 13-point halftime lead in a 60-55 loss that dropped them to 13-8 overall and 3-5 in the Big Ten.
That’s not a good thing, but what’s far more troubling is the fact Indiana is staring a fall from being a No. 1 seed to an NIT team straight in the face.
Their best win right now is over Wisconsin, which looked like something the Hoosiers could hang their resume before the Badgers became quite beatable. Now that win over Wisconsin is something that Indiana shares in common with Northwestern. Resume defining? Not so much.
Here’s the problem: that’s really the only noteworthy win that the Hoosiers have. They beat Stony Brook. And Washington. And handed Illinois their sixth straight loss … a month after losing to the Illini. Indiana was 63rd in the RPI before losing to Nebraska, and if the season ended today, they probably would not even be in consideration for an at-large bid.
It’s still way too early to write the Hoosiers off, however. They still play Michigan twice, pay a visit to Minnesota and Wisconsin, and get home games against Iowa and Ohio State. That’s before they play in the Big Ten tournament. They’ll have ample opportunities to put together the wins needed to play their way into the Big Dance.
But this is a team chock-full of freshmen and sophomores that doesn’t have enough perimeter shooting or consistent support for Yogi Ferrell.
Out of the six games that I just mentioned, who can Indiana actually beat?
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)