Jan 30, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Arizona State 89, California 78 (OT)
The Sun Devils held a 16-point lead early in the second half, only to watch the Golden Bears storm back and take a three-point lead with 26 seconds remaining. Enter Jermaine Marshall, who hit a three-pointer to tie the game and send it into overtime. From there it was all Arizona State, with Marshall (22 points) and Jahii Carson (29 points, seven assists) leading the way offensively. As a result of the win Arizona State’s now tied with Cal for third place in the Pac-12, and the Golden Bears have now lost three straight with No. 1 Arizona visiting on Saturday.
Wisconsin fell for two important reasons: they couldn’t hit a shot (26.3% FG), and they couldn’t slow down Northwestern in the second half either. Drew Crawford scored 30 points and grabbed eight rebounds to lead the way for the Wildcats, who scored 34 points over the game’s final 11:48.
2) Penn State 71, No. 24 Ohio State 70 (OT)
A D.J. Newbill jumper in the final seconds of overtime gave the Nittany Lions the win in Columbus, with the Buckeyes suffering their fifth loss over the last six games. Newbill finished with 25 points and eight rebounds and Brandon Taylor added 19 for Penn State, which won despite receiving just eight points from Tim Frazier. Ohio State once again had issues offensively, and they need to get those concerns addressed quickly.
3) No. 6 Kansas 92, No. 16 Iowa State 81
One game after scoring 27 at TCU, Andrew Wiggins established a new career-high with 29 points in the Jayhawks’ win over Iowa State in Lawrence. Wiggins also grabbed seven rebounds on a night that saw all five Kansas starters score in double figures, with Perry Ellis adding 20 points and six rebounds. Iowa State’s now lost four of their last five, and you have to wonder if it’s time to get concerned about the Cyclones despite their talent.
1) Frantz Massenat (Drexel)
Scored 32 points and dished out nine assists (no turnovers) in the Dragons’ 77-74 win over Hofstra.
2) Drew Crawford (Northwestern)
Scored 30 points on 10-for-15 shooting from the field and grabbed eight rebounds in the Wildcats’ 65-56 win at No. 14 Wisconsin.
3) D.J. Balentine (Evansville)
Scored 43 points (10-for-19 FG, 19-for-21 FT) in the Purple Aces’ 95-81 loss at Northern Iowa.
The Badgers shot 26.3% from the field, with non-Ben Brust starters shooting 7-for-35, in their 65-56 home loss to Wisconsin.
2) Tyrone Garland (La Salle)
Garland shot 1-for-14 from the field in the Explorers’ 69-47 loss at George Washington.
3) Texas A&M
The Aggies shot 35.6% from the field and finished with more turnovers (18) than made field goals (16) in their 80-52 loss to a South Carolina team that entered the game winless in SEC play.
- No. 1 Arizona had its hands full with Stanford but remained undefeated, beating the Cardinal 60-57 in Palo Alto. Defense was the difference, as Arizona limited Stanford to just nine points over the final 12:34.
- No. 2 Syracuse was also on the road, and Tyler Ennis’ 18 points led the Orange to a 67-57 win at Wake Forest. C.J. Fair added 16 and eight rebounds and Jerami Grant ten and 12 rebounds for Syracuse, which hosts No. 17 Duke on Saturday.
- Wisconsin and Ohio State weren’t the only ranked teams to fall, with No. 21 UMass falling 78-65 at St. Bonaventure. Charlon Kloof led five Bonnies in double figures with 14 points.
- A Sam Dower three-pointer with 1.9 seconds remaining gave Gonzaga a 54-52 win at Santa Clara.
- Marcus Paige scored 19 points and James Michael McAdoo added 17 as North Carolina won 78-65 at Georgia Tech.
- Albany handed Stony Brook its first loss in America East play, beating the Seawolves 77-67 with Gary Johnson scoring 19 points and Sam Rowley adding 17 and 11 to lead the way.
- Boston University blew a 22-point lead in their game against Army but rebounded to win 86-81 in overtime, keeping the Terriers a game behind American in the Patriot League standings.
- Jordan McRae and Tennessee rebounded from disappointing performances on Saturday, with McRae scoring 26 points to lead the Volunteers to an 86-70 win over Ole Miss.
- With Green Bay’s Alec Brown out with an injured shoulder Valparaiso took advantage, beating the Phoenix 75-60 with head coach Bryce Drew’s number being retired as well.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 19 Saint Louis 77, Richmond 57
- No. 22 Memphis 69, UCF 59
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
St. John’s received some big news this week as sophomore center Chris Obekpa decided to stay in New York.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Kentucky freshman forward Marcus Lee will return to Lexington for his sophomore season.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
After leading Georgia State to 25 wins and a Sun Belt regular season title, Ron Hunter has been rewarded with a contract extension.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 3
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)