Jan 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
George Washington just can’t seem to shake the injury bug.
Earlier this year, it was Patricio Garino that missed time. He broke his finger, sat out a couple of games, reinjured the finger during a practice in California for the Wooden Legacy and missed four more games before finally getting healthy and becoming a key cog in the Colonials’ defense.
Then it was Kethan Savage, a sophomore guard having a breakout season, that broke a bone in his foot and could be out until the conference tournament starts.
And if that wasn’t enough, starting point guard Joe McDonald looks like he may be out for some time as well. McDonald took a hard fall in last night’s 69-47 win over La Salle and didn’t come out of the locker for the second half until late in the game. He had on sweats and, according to Ben Standig of CSNWashington.com, was clearly in quite a bit of discomfort.
“He went out in the first half and our trainer told me he was done,” Lonergan said, “I’ve been kind of worried about that for a while. Hopefully we’ll find out more tomorrow.”
“I’m just going to pray that he’s going to be okay and we’re going to find a way if he’s not.”
This hip injury has been an issue for a while with McDonald. He originally injured it against Rutgers on Dec. 4th, but toughed through games while sitting out practices.
McDonald is to GW what T.J. McConnell is to Arizona: a steadying, calm presence at the point that doesn’t get sped up, hits threes and defends. Freshman Miguel Cartagena is McDonald’s back-up, but he only played ten second half minutes on Wednesday as Lonergan used Mo Creek and Garino in his back court.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)