Jan 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
George Washington just can’t seem to shake the injury bug.
Earlier this year, it was Patricio Garino that missed time. He broke his finger, sat out a couple of games, reinjured the finger during a practice in California for the Wooden Legacy and missed four more games before finally getting healthy and becoming a key cog in the Colonials’ defense.
Then it was Kethan Savage, a sophomore guard having a breakout season, that broke a bone in his foot and could be out until the conference tournament starts.
And if that wasn’t enough, starting point guard Joe McDonald looks like he may be out for some time as well. McDonald took a hard fall in last night’s 69-47 win over La Salle and didn’t come out of the locker for the second half until late in the game. He had on sweats and, according to Ben Standig of CSNWashington.com, was clearly in quite a bit of discomfort.
“He went out in the first half and our trainer told me he was done,” Lonergan said, “I’ve been kind of worried about that for a while. Hopefully we’ll find out more tomorrow.”
“I’m just going to pray that he’s going to be okay and we’re going to find a way if he’s not.”
This hip injury has been an issue for a while with McDonald. He originally injured it against Rutgers on Dec. 4th, but toughed through games while sitting out practices.
McDonald is to GW what T.J. McConnell is to Arizona: a steadying, calm presence at the point that doesn’t get sped up, hits threes and defends. Freshman Miguel Cartagena is McDonald’s back-up, but he only played ten second half minutes on Wednesday as Lonergan used Mo Creek and Garino in his back court.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 4
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)