Jan 30, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
During Notre Dame’s loss to Florida State on January 21 sophomore forward Austin Burgett experienced an irregular heartbeat, and according to the Chicago Tribune he remained hopeful that he would be able to delay undergoing a corrective procedure until the end of the season.
Unfortunately that was not the case, as two days after the initial incident Burgett experienced another episode.
On Wednesday Burgett underwent a two-hour procedure to correct the issue, and according to head coach Mike Brey the sophomore is expected to begin rehab in the middle of next week.
Burgett had a two-hour procedure in which doctors used radio waves to correct the rhythm of his heart. Brey said it is a “common, non-life threatening” procedure and the Irish will see how Burgett progresses during his rehab before making a determination on when he will return.
After going through a three-game stretch in December in which he played a total of nine minutes, the 6-foot-9 Burgett played double digit minutes in seven consecutive games before having to address his irregular heartbeat. Burgett was averaging 3.5 points and 2.4 rebounds per game at the time of his injury, accounting for seven points in Notre Dame’s 76-74 loss at Florida State.
Notre Dame has struggled in its ACC debut, losing six of their first eight conference games with the loss of senior guard Jerian Grant (academics) being a major reason for the slump. Notre Dame hosts Boston College on Saturday, and according to the report Burgett is expected to be on the bench with the team for that contest.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)