Jan 30, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
Two games after putting together his best performance of the season, scoring 31 points and grabbing 12 rebounds in a win over Temple, UConn junior forward DeAndre Daniels will miss the Huskies’ game against Houston on Thursday night due to a sprained ankle. The news was first reported by Andrew Catalon of CBS Sports.
Daniels suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half of UConn’s win at Rutgers on Saturday night, playing the second half but leaving the RAC in a walking boot. Head coach Kevin Ollie said on Wednesday that Daniels, who hadn’t practiced since suffering the injury, was probable for Thursday’s game.
The matchup with Houston is the second this season, with the Cougars beating the Huskies on New Year’s Eve in the American opener for both. The Huskies, faced with an opponent that was without three starters, did not show up with the intensity needed to win such a contest and trailed by as many as 20 in the first half before fighting back only to fall four points short.
Houston’s TaShawn Thomas proved to be a handful for UConn, scoring 23 points and grabbing eight rebounds with Jherrod Stiggers (17 points) and Chicken Knowles (13) proving problematic off the bench. Houston’s lost four of its last six games but this has the potential to be a difficult game for UConn, especially with Daniels sidelined.
With the junior unable to play more playing time is likely for Lasan Kromah and Niels Giffey, with both already being key members of the UConn rotation.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)