Jan 31, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
They almost didn’t make it.
After losing to Old Dominion in the CAA tournament and sitting at 23-11, it looked like Virginia Commonwealth would be on the outside looking in of the 2011 NCAA Tournament.
Many of the college basketball pundits didn’t give them a shot of attaining an at-large bid. The Rams, who were one of the final teams to make the field of 68, were relegated to the First Four in Dayton. They soundly beat USC in Dayton on Wednesday, then headed off to the United Center in Chicago to take on the No. 6 seed Georgetown.
The rest, as they say, is history.
“Unbelievable is Believable Here” is a documentary written and directed by Philip Wall, which chronicles VCU’s magical run in the 2011 NCAA Tournament.
From the film’s website:
An official selection of the 2014 Richmond International Film Festival, this feature documentary (94 minutes) follows the journey of the 2010 – 2011 VCU Rams’ basketball team through their historic and improbable NCAA Tournament run. Featuring behind the scenes footage and exclusive interviews, this feature-length documentary takes an in-depth look at the team and their trip to the Final Four.
This film has not yet been released. For those who fell in love with that Ram team — every college basketball fan should raise their hand because we all did — this film looks like a must see. Below is the official trailer.
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)