Jan 31, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
UTPA head coach Dan Hipsher wasn’t around to watch his Broncs fall 67-53 to Utah Valley on Thursday night, as he was ejected from the game in the first half. And as a result of his actions, the WAC has suspended him for UTPA’s game against Bakersfield for violating the league’s sportsmanship policy.
“Conference sportsmanship policies are clearly defined,” WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd said in the release announcing the suspension. “The action taken is intended to send a very clear message that there are definite lines that cannot be crossed, and that violations of the policies are not acceptable under any circumstance.”
So what did Hipsher do to receive the two technical fouls needed for an early exit? Josh Bowe of the Edinburg (Texas) Monitor provided a breakdown of the events that led to Hipsher’s ouster:
Perhaps no greater sign of that frustration occurred then in the first half, when Hipsher was ejected. After being upset with the officials up until that point, Hipsher had enough when he thought a Utah Valley played traveled after sliding across the floor with the ball.
The referees didn’t give the Broncs the call and Hipsher went ballistic, running up to the official and yelling in his face. Hipsher was given a quick first technical and then ejected after Hipsher continued and bumped into the referee.
Hipsher continued laying into the official, having to be held back by players and his son, associate head coach Andy Hipsher. When Dan Hipsher left the floor, Utah Valley led 16-11.
UTPA’s currently 2-5 in WAC play, and they’ve lost two straight games heading into Saturday’s matchup with the visiting Roadrunners. Associate head coach Andy Hipsher, the head coach’s son, took control of the team after the elder Hipsher’s ejection on Thursday night.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)