Jan 31, 2014, 5:02 PM EST
UTPA head coach Dan Hipsher wasn’t around to watch his Broncs fall 67-53 to Utah Valley on Thursday night, as he was ejected from the game in the first half. And as a result of his actions, the WAC has suspended him for UTPA’s game against Bakersfield for violating the league’s sportsmanship policy.
“Conference sportsmanship policies are clearly defined,” WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd said in the release announcing the suspension. “The action taken is intended to send a very clear message that there are definite lines that cannot be crossed, and that violations of the policies are not acceptable under any circumstance.”
So what did Hipsher do to receive the two technical fouls needed for an early exit? Josh Bowe of the Edinburg (Texas) Monitor provided a breakdown of the events that led to Hipsher’s ouster:
Perhaps no greater sign of that frustration occurred then in the first half, when Hipsher was ejected. After being upset with the officials up until that point, Hipsher had enough when he thought a Utah Valley played traveled after sliding across the floor with the ball.
The referees didn’t give the Broncs the call and Hipsher went ballistic, running up to the official and yelling in his face. Hipsher was given a quick first technical and then ejected after Hipsher continued and bumped into the referee.
Hipsher continued laying into the official, having to be held back by players and his son, associate head coach Andy Hipsher. When Dan Hipsher left the floor, Utah Valley led 16-11.
UTPA’s currently 2-5 in WAC play, and they’ve lost two straight games heading into Saturday’s matchup with the visiting Roadrunners. Associate head coach Andy Hipsher, the head coach’s son, took control of the team after the elder Hipsher’s ejection on Thursday night.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)