Feb 1, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
Florida Gulf Coast and head coach Joe Dooley announced on Friday that junior Filip Cvjeticanin, the team’s biggest perimeter shooting threat, has been suspended for three games for a violation of team rules, according to a release from the school.
Cvjeticanin began serving the suspension during Florida Gulf Coast’s Friday night win over Stetson and will sit out two more games this week against Jacksonville and North Florida.
“We’re disappointed in Filip and he’s disappointed in himself, but I’m confident that he will learn from this situation and be a valuable member of our team moving forward,” Dooley said in the release. “Now it’s important for us to have the whole team step up in Filip’s absence to help fill his void over the next three games.”
The 6-foot-9 junior leads Dunk City in three-pointers this season with 37 and is shooting 40.7 percent from beyond the arc on the year. Cvjeticanin is averaging 6.8 points and three rebounds per game this season while starting six games and appearing in all 22 games for Florida Gulf Coast.
This shouldn’t be of major concern to Florida Gulf Coast, but they are in second place in the Atlantic Sun behind Mercer, so they can’t afford to slip up this week without their top perimeter threat.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)