Feb 1, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Florida Gulf Coast and head coach Joe Dooley announced on Friday that junior Filip Cvjeticanin, the team’s biggest perimeter shooting threat, has been suspended for three games for a violation of team rules, according to a release from the school.
Cvjeticanin began serving the suspension during Florida Gulf Coast’s Friday night win over Stetson and will sit out two more games this week against Jacksonville and North Florida.
“We’re disappointed in Filip and he’s disappointed in himself, but I’m confident that he will learn from this situation and be a valuable member of our team moving forward,” Dooley said in the release. “Now it’s important for us to have the whole team step up in Filip’s absence to help fill his void over the next three games.”
The 6-foot-9 junior leads Dunk City in three-pointers this season with 37 and is shooting 40.7 percent from beyond the arc on the year. Cvjeticanin is averaging 6.8 points and three rebounds per game this season while starting six games and appearing in all 22 games for Florida Gulf Coast.
This shouldn’t be of major concern to Florida Gulf Coast, but they are in second place in the Atlantic Sun behind Mercer, so they can’t afford to slip up this week without their top perimeter threat.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)