Feb 1, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Florida Gulf Coast and head coach Joe Dooley announced on Friday that junior Filip Cvjeticanin, the team’s biggest perimeter shooting threat, has been suspended for three games for a violation of team rules, according to a release from the school.
Cvjeticanin began serving the suspension during Florida Gulf Coast’s Friday night win over Stetson and will sit out two more games this week against Jacksonville and North Florida.
“We’re disappointed in Filip and he’s disappointed in himself, but I’m confident that he will learn from this situation and be a valuable member of our team moving forward,” Dooley said in the release. “Now it’s important for us to have the whole team step up in Filip’s absence to help fill his void over the next three games.”
The 6-foot-9 junior leads Dunk City in three-pointers this season with 37 and is shooting 40.7 percent from beyond the arc on the year. Cvjeticanin is averaging 6.8 points and three rebounds per game this season while starting six games and appearing in all 22 games for Florida Gulf Coast.
This shouldn’t be of major concern to Florida Gulf Coast, but they are in second place in the Atlantic Sun behind Mercer, so they can’t afford to slip up this week without their top perimeter threat.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)