Feb 1, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Florida Gulf Coast and head coach Joe Dooley announced on Friday that junior Filip Cvjeticanin, the team’s biggest perimeter shooting threat, has been suspended for three games for a violation of team rules, according to a release from the school.
Cvjeticanin began serving the suspension during Florida Gulf Coast’s Friday night win over Stetson and will sit out two more games this week against Jacksonville and North Florida.
“We’re disappointed in Filip and he’s disappointed in himself, but I’m confident that he will learn from this situation and be a valuable member of our team moving forward,” Dooley said in the release. “Now it’s important for us to have the whole team step up in Filip’s absence to help fill his void over the next three games.”
The 6-foot-9 junior leads Dunk City in three-pointers this season with 37 and is shooting 40.7 percent from beyond the arc on the year. Cvjeticanin is averaging 6.8 points and three rebounds per game this season while starting six games and appearing in all 22 games for Florida Gulf Coast.
This shouldn’t be of major concern to Florida Gulf Coast, but they are in second place in the Atlantic Sun behind Mercer, so they can’t afford to slip up this week without their top perimeter threat.
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)