Feb 1, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
Florida Gulf Coast and head coach Joe Dooley announced on Friday that junior Filip Cvjeticanin, the team’s biggest perimeter shooting threat, has been suspended for three games for a violation of team rules, according to a release from the school.
Cvjeticanin began serving the suspension during Florida Gulf Coast’s Friday night win over Stetson and will sit out two more games this week against Jacksonville and North Florida.
“We’re disappointed in Filip and he’s disappointed in himself, but I’m confident that he will learn from this situation and be a valuable member of our team moving forward,” Dooley said in the release. “Now it’s important for us to have the whole team step up in Filip’s absence to help fill his void over the next three games.”
The 6-foot-9 junior leads Dunk City in three-pointers this season with 37 and is shooting 40.7 percent from beyond the arc on the year. Cvjeticanin is averaging 6.8 points and three rebounds per game this season while starting six games and appearing in all 22 games for Florida Gulf Coast.
This shouldn’t be of major concern to Florida Gulf Coast, but they are in second place in the Atlantic Sun behind Mercer, so they can’t afford to slip up this week without their top perimeter threat.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)