Feb 2, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
On Saturday, before Davidson’s 62-43 home win over The Citadel, the school honored head coach Bob McKillop, who is celebrating his 25th season with the Wildcats.
According to Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News, McKillop was surprised when Davidson Director of Athletics Jim Murphy announced, during the pregame ceremony, that the floor at Belk Arena will be known from now on as McKillop Court.
“I was with him for 18 of those 25 years, and I saw how hard he worked, how much sweat he dripped onto that court,” Elon head coach Matt Matheny told Sporting News. “It just makes sense that he would have his name on it now.”
In 25 seasons at Davidson, he has compiled a 464-290 record, appearing in the NCAA tournament seven times. The most memorable run during McKillop’s tenure was in 2008, led by NBA All-Star Stephen Curry, who helped the Wildcats reach the Elite Eight.
Davidson has made the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons, and is looking for a third trip next month. The win on Saturday put the Wildcats overall record to 12-11. That’s due to a non-conference schedule which featured Duke, Virginia, New Mexico, North Carolina and Wichita State. In the Southern Conference, Davidson is 7-1, trailing first place Chattanooga by half a game.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)