Feb 2, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
On Saturday, before Davidson’s 62-43 home win over The Citadel, the school honored head coach Bob McKillop, who is celebrating his 25th season with the Wildcats.
According to Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News, McKillop was surprised when Davidson Director of Athletics Jim Murphy announced, during the pregame ceremony, that the floor at Belk Arena will be known from now on as McKillop Court.
“I was with him for 18 of those 25 years, and I saw how hard he worked, how much sweat he dripped onto that court,” Elon head coach Matt Matheny told Sporting News. “It just makes sense that he would have his name on it now.”
In 25 seasons at Davidson, he has compiled a 464-290 record, appearing in the NCAA tournament seven times. The most memorable run during McKillop’s tenure was in 2008, led by NBA All-Star Stephen Curry, who helped the Wildcats reach the Elite Eight.
Davidson has made the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons, and is looking for a third trip next month. The win on Saturday put the Wildcats overall record to 12-11. That’s due to a non-conference schedule which featured Duke, Virginia, New Mexico, North Carolina and Wichita State. In the Southern Conference, Davidson is 7-1, trailing first place Chattanooga by half a game.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (8)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)