Feb 2, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
On Saturday, before Davidson’s 62-43 home win over The Citadel, the school honored head coach Bob McKillop, who is celebrating his 25th season with the Wildcats.
According to Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News, McKillop was surprised when Davidson Director of Athletics Jim Murphy announced, during the pregame ceremony, that the floor at Belk Arena will be known from now on as McKillop Court.
“I was with him for 18 of those 25 years, and I saw how hard he worked, how much sweat he dripped onto that court,” Elon head coach Matt Matheny told Sporting News. “It just makes sense that he would have his name on it now.”
In 25 seasons at Davidson, he has compiled a 464-290 record, appearing in the NCAA tournament seven times. The most memorable run during McKillop’s tenure was in 2008, led by NBA All-Star Stephen Curry, who helped the Wildcats reach the Elite Eight.
Davidson has made the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons, and is looking for a third trip next month. The win on Saturday put the Wildcats overall record to 12-11. That’s due to a non-conference schedule which featured Duke, Virginia, New Mexico, North Carolina and Wichita State. In the Southern Conference, Davidson is 7-1, trailing first place Chattanooga by half a game.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)