Feb 2, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
On Saturday, before Davidson’s 62-43 home win over The Citadel, the school honored head coach Bob McKillop, who is celebrating his 25th season with the Wildcats.
According to Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News, McKillop was surprised when Davidson Director of Athletics Jim Murphy announced, during the pregame ceremony, that the floor at Belk Arena will be known from now on as McKillop Court.
“I was with him for 18 of those 25 years, and I saw how hard he worked, how much sweat he dripped onto that court,” Elon head coach Matt Matheny told Sporting News. “It just makes sense that he would have his name on it now.”
In 25 seasons at Davidson, he has compiled a 464-290 record, appearing in the NCAA tournament seven times. The most memorable run during McKillop’s tenure was in 2008, led by NBA All-Star Stephen Curry, who helped the Wildcats reach the Elite Eight.
Davidson has made the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons, and is looking for a third trip next month. The win on Saturday put the Wildcats overall record to 12-11. That’s due to a non-conference schedule which featured Duke, Virginia, New Mexico, North Carolina and Wichita State. In the Southern Conference, Davidson is 7-1, trailing first place Chattanooga by half a game.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)