Feb 2, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
On Saturday, before Davidson’s 62-43 home win over The Citadel, the school honored head coach Bob McKillop, who is celebrating his 25th season with the Wildcats.
According to Mike DeCourcy of Sporting News, McKillop was surprised when Davidson Director of Athletics Jim Murphy announced, during the pregame ceremony, that the floor at Belk Arena will be known from now on as McKillop Court.
“I was with him for 18 of those 25 years, and I saw how hard he worked, how much sweat he dripped onto that court,” Elon head coach Matt Matheny told Sporting News. “It just makes sense that he would have his name on it now.”
In 25 seasons at Davidson, he has compiled a 464-290 record, appearing in the NCAA tournament seven times. The most memorable run during McKillop’s tenure was in 2008, led by NBA All-Star Stephen Curry, who helped the Wildcats reach the Elite Eight.
Davidson has made the NCAA tournament in consecutive seasons, and is looking for a third trip next month. The win on Saturday put the Wildcats overall record to 12-11. That’s due to a non-conference schedule which featured Duke, Virginia, New Mexico, North Carolina and Wichita State. In the Southern Conference, Davidson is 7-1, trailing first place Chattanooga by half a game.
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)