Feb 2, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
With a win over William & Mary on Sunday afternoon James Madison would have forced a four-way tie for third in the CAA standings, and with players such as Andre Nation and Andrey Semenov the Dukes were equipped to do just that. Unfortunately for JMU the Tribe had Marcus Thornton, who scored a game-high 26 points to lead William & Mary to a close 81-79 victory in Harrisonburg.
Each team finished the game with four players scoring in double figures (Semenov led JMU with 23), but the Tribe offset their 15 turnovers by outscoring James Madison by 18 points (39-21) from beyond the arc. William & Mary had some dicey moments late, most notably their fouling Ron Curry on a three-point attempt while leading by four with three seconds remaining.
Semenov was able to rebound Curry’s intentionally missed third free throw, but his attempt to tie the game fell short. With the win William & Mary (5-3 CAA) remains a game out of second place in the loss column, with Towson boasting a 5-2 record. James Madison drops into a three-way tie for sixth with the loss, with Drexel and Hofstra also being 3-5 in CAA play.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)