Feb 2, 2014, 6:06 PM EST
With a win over William & Mary on Sunday afternoon James Madison would have forced a four-way tie for third in the CAA standings, and with players such as Andre Nation and Andrey Semenov the Dukes were equipped to do just that. Unfortunately for JMU the Tribe had Marcus Thornton, who scored a game-high 26 points to lead William & Mary to a close 81-79 victory in Harrisonburg.
Each team finished the game with four players scoring in double figures (Semenov led JMU with 23), but the Tribe offset their 15 turnovers by outscoring James Madison by 18 points (39-21) from beyond the arc. William & Mary had some dicey moments late, most notably their fouling Ron Curry on a three-point attempt while leading by four with three seconds remaining.
Semenov was able to rebound Curry’s intentionally missed third free throw, but his attempt to tie the game fell short. With the win William & Mary (5-3 CAA) remains a game out of second place in the loss column, with Towson boasting a 5-2 record. James Madison drops into a three-way tie for sixth with the loss, with Drexel and Hofstra also being 3-5 in CAA play.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)