Feb 2, 2014, 6:06 PM EST
With a win over William & Mary on Sunday afternoon James Madison would have forced a four-way tie for third in the CAA standings, and with players such as Andre Nation and Andrey Semenov the Dukes were equipped to do just that. Unfortunately for JMU the Tribe had Marcus Thornton, who scored a game-high 26 points to lead William & Mary to a close 81-79 victory in Harrisonburg.
Each team finished the game with four players scoring in double figures (Semenov led JMU with 23), but the Tribe offset their 15 turnovers by outscoring James Madison by 18 points (39-21) from beyond the arc. William & Mary had some dicey moments late, most notably their fouling Ron Curry on a three-point attempt while leading by four with three seconds remaining.
Semenov was able to rebound Curry’s intentionally missed third free throw, but his attempt to tie the game fell short. With the win William & Mary (5-3 CAA) remains a game out of second place in the loss column, with Towson boasting a 5-2 record. James Madison drops into a three-way tie for sixth with the loss, with Drexel and Hofstra also being 3-5 in CAA play.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 2
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss 3
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)