Former Purdue captain challenges President Obama to shooting contest in local political Super Bowl ad (VIDEO)
Feb 3, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Former Purdue basketball captain Curt Clawson is challenging President Obama to a shooting contest in a new commercial that ran locally during the Super Bowl.
Clawson, a member of Purdue’s basketball team under Gene Keady from 1981-84 and a captain on Purdue’s 1984 Big Ten Championship team, is a Republican candidate for the Florida House running in the special election to replace resigned Rep. Trey Radel, also a Republican. Radel resigned last month after federal agents caught the first-term congressman buying cocaine in Washington.
“I’m Curt Clawson. I’m challenging President Obama to a three-point contest. I wanna take on Obama in Congress, so why not start on the court?” Clawson says in the 30-second ad. “Obama’s been missing a lot of shots lately, and not just in basketball.”
According to Fox News, the ad played during the Super Bowl in the district that Clawson is running in before the game — and also at halftime — and cost about $200,000 to run.
The special election for Radal’s seat has not yet been scheduled and no comment has been made from President Obama, according to Fox News.
Clawson was recently selected for the 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award at Purdue, which recognizes College of Liberal Arts alums at the school for their professional achievements, dedication to their communities, and involvement with Purdue.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)