Former Purdue captain challenges President Obama to shooting contest in local political Super Bowl ad (VIDEO)
Feb 3, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Former Purdue basketball captain Curt Clawson is challenging President Obama to a shooting contest in a new commercial that ran locally during the Super Bowl.
Clawson, a member of Purdue’s basketball team under Gene Keady from 1981-84 and a captain on Purdue’s 1984 Big Ten Championship team, is a Republican candidate for the Florida House running in the special election to replace resigned Rep. Trey Radel, also a Republican. Radel resigned last month after federal agents caught the first-term congressman buying cocaine in Washington.
“I’m Curt Clawson. I’m challenging President Obama to a three-point contest. I wanna take on Obama in Congress, so why not start on the court?” Clawson says in the 30-second ad. “Obama’s been missing a lot of shots lately, and not just in basketball.”
According to Fox News, the ad played during the Super Bowl in the district that Clawson is running in before the game — and also at halftime — and cost about $200,000 to run.
The special election for Radal’s seat has not yet been scheduled and no comment has been made from President Obama, according to Fox News.
Clawson was recently selected for the 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award at Purdue, which recognizes College of Liberal Arts alums at the school for their professional achievements, dedication to their communities, and involvement with Purdue.
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 10
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Ranking the Sweet 16 matchups 8
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close 36
- Sweet 16 Power Rankings: Reseeding the NCAA tournament field 15
- Ben Howland to become the next Mississippi State head coach 6
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- You Make The Call: Did No. 11 UCLA beat No. 6 SMU on a goaltend or a blown call? (VIDEO) (32)
- Updated tournament records: Five ACC, three Pac-12 teams headed to Sweet 16 (22)
- Reports: Indiana coach Tom Crean said ‘you suck’ to referee after loss to Wichita State (19)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (19)