Former Purdue captain challenges President Obama to shooting contest in local political Super Bowl ad (VIDEO)
Feb 3, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Former Purdue basketball captain Curt Clawson is challenging President Obama to a shooting contest in a new commercial that ran locally during the Super Bowl.
Clawson, a member of Purdue’s basketball team under Gene Keady from 1981-84 and a captain on Purdue’s 1984 Big Ten Championship team, is a Republican candidate for the Florida House running in the special election to replace resigned Rep. Trey Radel, also a Republican. Radel resigned last month after federal agents caught the first-term congressman buying cocaine in Washington.
“I’m Curt Clawson. I’m challenging President Obama to a three-point contest. I wanna take on Obama in Congress, so why not start on the court?” Clawson says in the 30-second ad. “Obama’s been missing a lot of shots lately, and not just in basketball.”
According to Fox News, the ad played during the Super Bowl in the district that Clawson is running in before the game — and also at halftime — and cost about $200,000 to run.
The special election for Radal’s seat has not yet been scheduled and no comment has been made from President Obama, according to Fox News.
Clawson was recently selected for the 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award at Purdue, which recognizes College of Liberal Arts alums at the school for their professional achievements, dedication to their communities, and involvement with Purdue.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)