Former Purdue captain challenges President Obama to shooting contest in local political Super Bowl ad (VIDEO)
Feb 3, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Former Purdue basketball captain Curt Clawson is challenging President Obama to a shooting contest in a new commercial that ran locally during the Super Bowl.
Clawson, a member of Purdue’s basketball team under Gene Keady from 1981-84 and a captain on Purdue’s 1984 Big Ten Championship team, is a Republican candidate for the Florida House running in the special election to replace resigned Rep. Trey Radel, also a Republican. Radel resigned last month after federal agents caught the first-term congressman buying cocaine in Washington.
“I’m Curt Clawson. I’m challenging President Obama to a three-point contest. I wanna take on Obama in Congress, so why not start on the court?” Clawson says in the 30-second ad. “Obama’s been missing a lot of shots lately, and not just in basketball.”
According to Fox News, the ad played during the Super Bowl in the district that Clawson is running in before the game — and also at halftime — and cost about $200,000 to run.
The special election for Radal’s seat has not yet been scheduled and no comment has been made from President Obama, according to Fox News.
Clawson was recently selected for the 2014 Distinguished Alumni Award at Purdue, which recognizes College of Liberal Arts alums at the school for their professional achievements, dedication to their communities, and involvement with Purdue.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)