Feb 3, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
At this point, we know what we’re getting out of Villanova.
They are as tough as any team in the country, they are tough to run offense against because they are effective in different defensive looks, their ability to spread the floor with perimeter-oriented guards makes them difficult to defend and on the nights their threes are going down, they are going to be a very difficult team to beat.
On Monday night, those threes were going down.
No. 6 Villanova got 27 points from James Bell and as a team knocked down 11-of-28 from beyond the arc in an 81-58 win over Xavier in Philadelphia. The Wildcats shot 49.5% from the floor, handed out assists on 25 of their 32 field goals and committed just seven turnovers while holding Xavier to 37.7% shooting and 16 turnovers.
It was a beatdown, and outside of a run at the end of the first half, Xavier never really was in the game.
It begs the question: just how good are the Musketeers?
They have now lost three in a row and four of their last six games. Their resume is hinged on a 17 point win over Cincinnati that is only going to look better as the season goes on. But it’s not bolstered by much. They split with Tennessee, a fact that is somewhat nullified by losses to Seton Hall and USC. Semaj Christon has been as good as advertised this season, but his supporting cast hasn’t always been consistent. Defensively, they don’t force turnovers and they don’t defend the three well.
Five of Xavier’s last nine games are going to come on the road, and two of their home games happen to be against Villanova and No. 12 Creighton.
Xavier is currently a nine-seeded in the latest NBCSports.com bracket.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)