Feb 4, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
On Monday evening, Richmond announced that Derrick Williams has left the program.
“We thank Derrick for his contributions to the program and wish him luck in his future endeavors,” Richmond head coach Chris Mooney said in a press release on Monday.
By Tuesday afternoon, John O’Connor the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that Williams’ departure was a result of family issues.
“Yes I have enjoyed my time as a Spider and love every fan and every minute,” Williams said in an email to the Times-Dispatch on Tuesday. “But unfortunately family issues are too overwhelming for me.”
Williams was a three-year starter for the Spiders, averaging 11.2 points and 5.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore and 11.4 points and 5.4 boards per game as a junior. His numbers, and minutes, dipped in 2013-2014 to 5.8 points, grabbing 3.7 rebounds per night for Richmond. The 6-foot-6 Williams saw 21 minutes a game.
The Spiders are 14-8 (4-3 Atlantic 10), putting them fifth in the conference. Richmond holds a win over then-No. 13 UMass, but dropped back-to-back games to Saint Louis and VCU.
Richmond is currently listed as one of the ‘Next five teams out’ in the latest edition of College Basketball Talk’s Bracketology.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)