Feb 4, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
On Monday evening, Richmond announced that Derrick Williams has left the program.
“We thank Derrick for his contributions to the program and wish him luck in his future endeavors,” Richmond head coach Chris Mooney said in a press release on Monday.
By Tuesday afternoon, John O’Connor the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported that Williams’ departure was a result of family issues.
“Yes I have enjoyed my time as a Spider and love every fan and every minute,” Williams said in an email to the Times-Dispatch on Tuesday. “But unfortunately family issues are too overwhelming for me.”
Williams was a three-year starter for the Spiders, averaging 11.2 points and 5.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore and 11.4 points and 5.4 boards per game as a junior. His numbers, and minutes, dipped in 2013-2014 to 5.8 points, grabbing 3.7 rebounds per night for Richmond. The 6-foot-6 Williams saw 21 minutes a game.
The Spiders are 14-8 (4-3 Atlantic 10), putting them fifth in the conference. Richmond holds a win over then-No. 13 UMass, but dropped back-to-back games to Saint Louis and VCU.
Richmond is currently listed as one of the ‘Next five teams out’ in the latest edition of College Basketball Talk’s Bracketology.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)