Feb 4, 2014, 11:54 PM EST
There ought to be plenty of talent in the green room at this June’s NBA draft. Although a consensus top-3 pick, maybe the No. 1 overall pick, is exploring the idea of returning for his sophomore season.
ESPN Basketball Insider Jeff Goodman spoke with Kansas freshman center Joel Embiid before and after No. 8 Kansas’ 69-52 win over Baylor on Tuesday night. Before the game Embiid told Goodman he wasn’t sure if he was ready to declare for the NBA. Following the win he said it all depends on his development for the remainder of the season. Embiid, the Cameroon native who has only played three years of organized basketball, has rapidly improved in his short time in Lawrence.
Not only is he averaging 11.2 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game, but he has also dethroned teammate Andrew Wiggins as the projected top overall pick in the 2014 NBA Draft according to DraftExpress.com.
“I’m not even thinking about it right now,” Embiid told Goodman. “I’ll make a decision after the season, but I’m definitely considering coming back to school.”
It’s tough to truly know if Embiid is actually considering returning for another season. Kansas is playing great basketball as of late, and is a trendy pick to make it back to the Final Four this month. Would it really be best move for Embiid to announce his plans to bolt after this season, in February, with his team contending for a national title?
He’s going to be a top-3 pick, could very well be the top pick giving his potential impact. If he returns there is always the possibility of an injury, which will likely drop you stocks, a move that will cost you millions.
Maybe he is honestly considering returning. Again there’s no real way of knowing. Remember he is three years into organized basketball, and Kansas head coach Bill Self has seen his big men in the past improve over the years.
It’s a fair question, and Embiid answered it in the best answer possible. There’s just no way of knowing if he’s actually open to returning to KU, or if he’s already made up his mind and declare this spring.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)