Feb 4, 2014, 1:50 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 16 Iowa State 98, No. 19 Oklahoma State 97, 3 OT
Like there was any doubt? The Big 12 continues to produce some of the best games of the season and this triple-overtime thriller in Stillwater on Monday night was no different.
In the end, No. 16 Iowa State outlasted No. 19 Oklahoma State as Naz Long buried a critical game-tying three-pointer in the second overtime and the Cyclones got two stops on the final Oklahoma State possession to preserve the one-point win.
Rob Dauster has more on what this win means for Iowa State going forward while I look into Oklahoma State and its stagnant offense.
1) No. 1 Syracuse 61, Notre Dame 55
C.J. Fair had his worst game of the season — only scoring six points — but sophomore guard Trevor Cooney erupted for 33 points and tied a Syracuse record with nine three-pointers to help the Orange remain unbeaten on the year at 22-0. Syracuse’s offense was sluggish at times, but their defense remained as good as it has all season as the Orange held Notre Dame to 18 first-half points and held off a late push from the Irish.
2) No. 6 Villanova 81, Xavier 58
The Wildcats led wire-to-wire in this one as James Bell had a solid outing with 27 points and eight rebounds to pace Big East leader Villanova. Jay Wright’s ballclub shot 49 percent from the field for the game and had a very impressive 25 assists on 32 field goals. Villanova had eight players with two or more assists in the win.
3) Georgetown 71, DePaul 59
After Georgetown’s huge win at Madison Square Garden over Michigan State on Saturday, the Hoyas couldn’t afford a let down on the road against DePaul. Georgetown actually trailed at the half in this one before their guard-play took over in the second half. Markel Starks finished with 26 points while D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera (17 points) and Jabril Trawick (15 points) both regularly found the scoring column as well.
Are the Hoyas building momentum for a Big East run?
1) Trevor Cooney’s nine made three-pointers tied a Syracuse record set by Gerry McNamara, Andy Rautins and James Southerland. After so-so shooting earlier in the ACC season, is Cooney out of his slump?
2) Devon Saddler broke Delaware’s school record for points at 2,031 — surpassing Mike Pegues — with 21 points in the Blue Hens’ win over Northeastern. Delaware is 9-0 in the CAA and the Blue Hens have won 11 straight games.
3) Georgia State won its 13th consecutive game on Monday as R.J. Hunter had 24 points to lead the Panthers to an 85-65 Sun Belt win over South Alabama. Manny Atkins and Ryan Harrow also added 20 points each for Georgia State.
1) Oklahoma State couldn’t find its perimeter touch on Monday as they Cowboys went 4-for-15 from three-point range in its three-overtime loss to Iowa State.
2) Eric Atkins and Pat Connaughton both had a tough time making shots for Notre Dame against Syracuse’s zone as both played 40 minutes each while finishing with identical 3-for-10 marks from the field and 2-for-7 from three-point range.
3) Texas Southern blew a 12-point halftime lead to Alabama State, as the Hornets came back for a 79-72 overtime win on Monday to remain in sole possession of second place in the SWAC standings at 7-2. The Hornets sit one game behind SWAC leader Southern (8-1) while Texas Southern missed a golden opportunity to make a move in the SWAC standings.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)